Addition of "round robin" feature to breakout rooms

Are there any updates on the addition of a “round robin” feature to breakout rooms? This would allow automatic non-repeating pairs during a meeting’s breakout sessions.

Currently we have to manually administer online speed networking events. This limits our participation as it is not realistically feasible to do this with more than 14 participants, which even then is not the best user experience. It also impacts the number of staff who are able to facilitate these sessions.

We’ve been waiting approx. two years now for this to be added, since it was first accepted to the “road map”.

This is related to 3073.

"We urgently require a couple of additions to breakout rooms.

1. Ability to set non-repeating automatic assignments to breakout rooms (and re-assignments).
  • Allows participants to have several different conversations with different participants over the course of a meeting, without the host having to manually assign different combinations every time. (same concept as round-robins). This is used for speed networking events.
  1. Ability to set number of breakout rooms by desired number of participants in each breakout room
  • Example: Host could choose breakout rooms with two participants each - 10 participants would have 5 rooms created."
2 Likes

Thanks for posting @nathaniel.roberts,

Unfortunately we do not have a timeline for breakout room APIs. I apologize for the inconvenience.

In the mean time have you tried pre assigning participants to breakout rooms?

Thanks,
Tommy

Hi Tommy,

Unfortunately pre-assigning participants to breakout rooms isn’t appropriate as there is no flexibility if an attendee doesn’t attend (which is very common with students), and as far as I am aware there can also only be one pre-assignment which would only deal with the first sort and not the subsequent sortings.

I’m sure you can understand my frustration as it is either wait for this feature indefinitely with no indicators (as it has been added to the “road map”), or spend thousands on developing new suitable software to potentially have the feature added to Zoom in the next couple of months anyway.

Kind regards,
Nathaniel

Hey @nathaniel.roberts, I do understand your frustration.

Would you mind sharing who added it to the road map so I can track down the status of this feature?

Thanks,
Tommy

Hi Tommy,
The original request was made through AARNET in February 2018. Unfortunately I don’t have any reference number but I believe the AARNET staff member who submitted the request was (removed name). They were advised that the feature request was added.
The most recent enquiry was handled by (removed name) in June of this year.
Many thanks,
Nathaniel

Thanks for the details @nathaniel.roberts!

Looks like there is no update on this unfortunately, our apologies.

I have added your suggestions to a similar Breakout Room feature request, JIRA ZOOM-108111

As this forum is for questions / help related to the Zoom App Marketplace and APIs I would say to stay updated here for the status on this.

Thanks,
Tommy

Hi Nathaniel,
Please feel free to contact me as there may be an option to address your round robin requirements in the browser version of Zoom.
My personal email is pjnewton6@gmail.com

Thanks @pjnewton6!

-Tommy

The round robin browser app, developed by a graduate student at the University of Illinois, will be freely available on the Chrome store within the next few days. It is called ‘Zoomie’. We are in the process of writing a use document and hope to have it done within a week.
Take care
Patrick Newton
pjnewton6@gmail.com

1 Like

The browser extension has been complete and is operational to allow for round robin gatherings. The YouTube video link below outlines it use for those who are interested. Feel free to contact me if you would like the extension file.

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for the update. It looks awesome!

Does it cater for sessions with late particpants joining? I would love to give it a go. J

Thanks,

Nathaniel

image001.jpg

Hi All,
Due to a change from the Zoom folks, an update to the tool was required. David Shumway, the developer of the extension tool, has updated the extension files to accommodate the change. He has also created a new youtube video further clarifying its use. ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkE3dhM6Hs0 . The extension files can be found here: https://github.com/davidshumway/zoomie
I have created a brief and basic tutorial pdf on how to load the extension that i can provide upon request ( pjnewton6 at gmail dot com ). David is still working with Chrome on getting the extension in their store which would enable auto-updates in the future.
This app was developed free of charge by David for Trillium Awakening in support of a mutuality round robin that is now offered 6 times a week.

Hey @nathaniel.roberts. I don’t know if you are still interested in this feature. But I’d love to provide a solution which might be your perfect fit. We developed an application thats assigning attendees automatically based on round-robin. It’s actually for the business case of digital virtual speed networking.

Doesn’t even require a chrome extension :slight_smile: Just ping me please, if your interested.

Best
Ahmet

Quick update. I have an extension available as a Mozilla add-on which basically achieves this functionality. Only the host needs to use it (not participants). Chrome has up to now rejected the extension. Online here: (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/zoomieroundrobin/). Testers and feedback welcome!

Hi Ahmet,
Definitely interested in this. Can you please send me some more information?
Thanks,
Nathaniel

Hey @nathaniel.roberts, thanks for getting back. Please checkout our website at: https://goplus2.com

Thanks Ahmet. How does your plugin address latecomers and early leavers?

Hi Patrick,
Overall, the extension worked well. The biggest issue was that the browser port of Zoom isn’t the greatest.
Are there any plans to make additional support for latecomers or early leavers? I found that it couldn’t handle that situation. The only other issue was that it sometimes “shorted out” the round time.
Many thanks,
Nathaniel

@nathaniel.roberts To host speed-networking events, I send a link to a Glimpse room, a platform for 1-1, round-robin video calls. Everyone(including latecomers and early leavers!) can just click on the link and enter a Glimpse room to be matched for a video call.

If you want to give any announcements beforehand, you can start in a Zoom and send a link to a Glimpse room in the chat.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing @sarah.xu421!

I’m Helena from the Glimpse team and more than happy to walk you through our one-on-one speed matching. We have both round-robin and optimized pairings.

Here’s a quick demo video on youtube: