Apk size after adding Android Zoom SDK

I know there has been several posts about this before, but none of them actually answered what the actual size growth should be after integrating the zoom sdk for certain architectures.

I need to include armeabi-v7a and arm64-v8a in my app.
These are my apk sizes for different configs.

APK with no Zoom: 11MB
APK with Zoom armeabi-v7a and arm64-v8a: 97MB
APK with Zoom arm64-v8a: 71MB
APK with Zoom armeabi-v7a: 47MB

In your integration guide you say that the footprint of the SDK is 20MB, so what have I done wrong because these sizes are way above 20MB even if I only include one architecture.

Or have you just not updated the integration guide and the sizes growth I have in my app is what is expected?

BR
Magnus

Hi Magnus,

Thanks for the post. The information on the app size in the integration guide is outdated. I will forward this to the doc team to update it as soon as possible. Pardon the confusion.

Thanks!

i am facing the same Issue but the size of my debug apk has become 185mb which was 5 mb before integrating Zoom SDK. If the integration guide is updated ? Please let me know .

Thanks

Hi hemantkushwah1888,

Thanks for the post. Our Android SDK is 89MB at the moment, and it includes all the required files for different architectures. You could add abiFilters to reduce the size.

Thanks!

Hi @carson.zoom,

I have updated my android sdk to the latest one but I found my app size gets increased compared to the previous one.

Previously my app app size was 57 mb after applying abiFilters and now my app size is 93 mb.
Can you please confirm is this expected due to an sdk updates or I am missing something.

Hi @aniket.yawalkar,

The current Android SDK is around 90mb. You could add abiFilters in gradle files to reduce the app size or you could leverage the suggestions here:https://developer.android.com/topic/performance/reduce-apk-size

Thanks!

Hi @carson.zoom,

Previously, I have added the “abiFilters” “arm64-v8a”, “armeabi-v7a” and my size was 57 MB after applying abiFilters and now my app size is 93 MB.

I need help to figure out is this expected due to an sdk update or I am missing something?

Thanks for the replay.

Hi @aniket.yawalkar,

Our SDK includes a lot of new features from the Zoom client( such as the virtual background) so the SDK size is slowly getting larger. It was a long time ago when the SDK size was around 57MB.

Hope this helps. Thanks!

Thanks, @carson.zoom for your response,

Sorry to say but, I think there is some misunderstanding here.

Please find my findings below:

For Zoom Version (v4.6.21666.0427) :

• Initial APK size: 97MB
  • After adding abiFilters: 57MB

For Latest Zoom Version (v4.6.21666.0429) :

• Initial APK size: 152MB
  • After adding abiFilters: 94MB

So after updating my app with the latest version of Zoom SDK (which supports the encryption), my app size went to 94 MB from 57 MB.
That’s real huge. Can you please share, how we can reduce the size more. We are already using the ‘abiFilters’.

Thanks!

Hi @aniket.yawalkar,

Thanks for the info. The reason why the size of the Zoom client that is downloaded from the Google Play store is smaller is that Google Play Store will only download the contents that match your CPU architecture. If you download the full version of the Zoom client from zoom.us(Includes the support for all CPU architecture), the app size will be much larger.

If you are already using the abiFilter, you may have a look at the tips in https://developer.android.com/topic/performance/reduce-apk-size . Other than these, there is no other way to further reduce the size.

Thanks!

Thanks @carson.zoom for the quick response.

So, just wanted to confirm do we need to upload different APKs on play store according to the different CPU architecture?

Hi @aniket.yawalkar,

Thanks for the reply. You may refer to the instruction here to set up dynamic delivery:https://developer.android.com/guide/app-bundle/dynamic-delivery

Hope this helps. Thanks!

i am facing the same Issue app size is too big…

Hi @cerebry,

Is your APK size still too large after following the above suggestions Carson made?

Thanks!

Is there any update regarding Dynamic delivery as it is supposed to be the best possible alternate to reduce the app size. But your forms says, Zoom currently doesn’t supports Dynamic Delivery Module Zoom android sdk integration in android dynamic feature module
Is there any update regarding this?

Hi @abhinavkhajuria72, thanks for using the devforum.

No updates on dynamic module support at the moment. For the most up-to-date information on recent SDK releases, please refer to our release notes page.

Thanks!

@abhinavkhajuria72 I added an aditonal step that is required to make the zoom SDK work inside a dynamic feature module.

1 Like

I am running into the same issue, however, I went through all the discussions here and in other threads. But is very unsatisfying to face this type of issue.

APK with no Zoom: 6.5 MB
APK with Zoom: 386 MB
APK with Zoom + arm64-v8a, armeabi-v7a: 186 MB

This is a huge difference and very disappointing. Where my app size was 6.5 MB and suddenly it rises to 300 MB or 185 MB.

Is there any way or we have to live with it?

Hey @indrajit.chauhan03,

Thanks for using the dev forum!

Have you tried the suggestions above?

Thanks!
Michael

Yes, I tried out everything but it doesn’t help me as such