App can't connect if 'Allow participants to join anytime' is not enabled

In my app, the web SDK works great and connects but only if ‘Allow participants to join anytime’ is checked in the Zoom meeting settings.

If someone forgets to check this then users cannot connect to meetings through the app. Is there something I can add to the Web SDK to always enable this?

Error
If not checked in the settings it shows this error:

Joining meeting timeout: Your connection has timed out and you cannot join the meeting. Verify your network connectivity and try again

Which Web Client SDK version?
v.1.9.1

Screenshots

Hey @jinsley8,

Thank you for reaching out to the Zoom Developer Forum. Currently, the Web SDK doesn’t support joining a personal meeting ID before the host.

Do you happen to be using a personal meeting ID when this happens?

Please see the following forum post for more infomation:

If that’s not helpful, are you able to share a screenshot of any errors that you see in the browser JS console?

Thanks,
Max

This was using a Generated ID.

It only happens if ‘Allow participants to join anytime’ is unchecked. If unchecked the zoom error says “Meeting not started”

Anyway to override this from the SDK? I don’t want users getting this timeout error by accident.

Hey @jinsley8,

Thank you for clarifying, I initially misunderstood what you were saying. In order to join a meeting with the Web SDK, the meeting must have been started by the host or Allow participants to join anytime must be checked.

Unfortunately, there isn’t a way to override this error with the current version of the Web SDK. We are aware that this isn’t a helpful error and our engineering team is currently working to improve error messaging across the board.

As a workaround, you can use the status property of the Get a Meeting API to check if a meeting has started before attempting to join it with the Web SDK.

Let me know if that helps.

Thanks,
Max

Thanks for the info!

1 Like

I’m glad that was helpful! I’ll go ahead and close this topic now but feel free to open a new topic if you encounter any further issues or questions.

Max