At which point can I recycle a license?

All of the following is by API through a JWT app.

Considering a meeting life-cycle: Meeting creation with licensed user -> User/Host joining -> party time -> Meeting ends.

At which point can the user be updated to type 1 (basic), to recycle the license, without affecting the meeting capabilities?

• After the meeting is created but before the host joins?
  • After the host joins?
  • After the meeting is ended?
  • On meetings type 3 (recurring with no fixed time) does the host needs to be type 2 (Licensed) every the meeting starts?

Made some tests and found this:

Case 1:

• Created meeting with user type 2 (Licensed).
  • User/Host Joined meeting.
  • Updated user to type 1 (Basic).
  • Meeting duration went over the 40 minutes mark since the host joined. No warnings or alerts.

Case 2:

• Created meeting with user type 1 (Basic).
  • User/Host Joined meeting.
  • Warning triggered: “10 minutes left in meeting”.
  • Updated user to type 2 (Licensed).
  • Alert triggered at 40 min mark: “This meeting now has unlimited minutes”.
  • Meeting duration went over the 40 minutes mark since the host was updated to basic. No warnings or alerts.

Endpoints used:
POST /users/{userId}/meetings
PATCH /users/{userId}
GET /accounts/{accountId}/plans/usage (to verify license usage)

Hi @pablo.gonzalez,

Generally speaking, we do not recommend changing licenses before or during a meeting, to ensure you don’t run into unintended results.

I would recommend not updating a user’s license until after a meeting has ended. If you want to take care of this programmatically, I recommend looking at our Meeting Ended webhook:

For recurring meetings with no fixed time, you can keep track of the start/end times using the Meeting Started and Meeting Ended webhooks to ensure you’re not taking action on a user’s license before/during.

Let me know if this helps!

Best,
Will

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.