Bad Video quality on webapp

Hello @zoom,

i have installed the sample-webapp with version 1.3.8, deployed directly via lighttpd (no nodejs http server involved) and have another pc running the native windows zoom desktop application.

the problem is that i am getting poor video quality on the zoom-desktop-client- side(i. e. the video that is transmitted via the js webapp).

the video that is received by js/webapp (from zoom desktop client) has much better quality. are js-webapp based video streams handled differently than native desktop client streams? if yes, is there a possibility to improve the quality?

regards!
hg

Hi @harald.glanzer1,

We’ve have been receiving reports of the quality of the JS app being lower than the desktop client. Our Engineers are working on it.

Would you be able to tell use what OS and browser that you using ?

Thanks

i am using chrome 72.x(i can send the exact version tomorrow) on a linux machine.

do i understand you correctly that the browser-based zoom client should behave very similar to the desktop client?

thx!
hg

Hi @harald.glanzer1,

Thanks for providing the details and yes the browser based should behave the same a desktop client. Our Engineers are taking a look at this and will follow up as soon as possible.

Thanks

add-on: i tested CDN + Local sample web app, commit c14d9424755(zoom 1.3.8), via the included nodejs http server. the only change i made was setting API KEY + Secret

CDN + Local both had poor video quality, compared to the desktop client.

FYI
hg

Hi @michael_p.zoom,

to be sure to understand this conversation right: the quality of the web app should be the same as the quality of the desktop app? I also have different results in my tests -> if it helps I also can provide additional information.

Best, Martin

hi @michael_p.zoom,

do you have any updates, regarding the video quality?

regards,
hari

@harald.glanzer,

Our Engineers are still looking into the video quality issue, if it is bug then we will making an update in an upcoming release.

Thanks

@harald.glanzer because of some limitation, jssdk just support 360p video capture. can you provide a screenshot, help us make sure. Thanks.

@JackYang: thx for looking into this. this is my setup:

• zoom native client 4.3
  • zoom CDN sample-webapp 1.3.8 + chromium 72
  • both clients use identical logitech HD1080p usb webcams.

• (3) here, you can see the LOKAL video input for the webapp CDN client:
    2_1_webappCDN_local_screenshot

• (4) …and here the same picture, as received by zoom 4.3.6:
    PNG

remarks:

• it looks like the LOKAL-only video has less resolution when captured by webApp CDN, compared to the native client, see pictures (1) + (3)
  • after streaming via webappCDN, it looks like the resolution gets worse again, see pictures (3) + (4)

if i can do any additional tests, dont hesitate!

regards, hg

Hi @michael_p.zoom, reading the comments below I’m even more confused on your statement “the browser based should behave the same a desktop client”. Is there any documentation about resolutions, fps,… of the different implementations / platforms?

Best, Martin

Hi @muelle1977,

Currently, the JavaScript Zoom SDK encodes at a maximum of 360p as opposed to its current native counterparts, but we are exploring ways to improve this in future releases.

Thanks

Hi @michael_p.zoom,

thanks for the info about the max resolution limitation. As we urgently need to decide if we can integrate zoom and the decision is based on the video quality, we need an info what “future release” means. Is it possible to get a binding info when exactly the quality improvments are planned to release?

Is it possible to act as “beta tester” for your SDK?

Hi @alexander.brotzge,

Right now the tentative timeline for the resolution improvement would be late Q3 of this year.

Thanks

Hi @michael_p.zoom,

thanks for the info unfortunately that’s not what we expected.

Are there any plans to integrate screensharing in one of the next SDK releases? If yes, what is the exact timeline for integrating this feature?

Again is it possible to act as a beta tester for your SDK?

Thanks for your reply
Alex

Hi @alexander.brotzge,

Screen sharing will be available during our next release which will be around early May. Currently, we do not offer beta testing for Web SDK as of right now.

Thanks