Breakout rooms API

+1 for Breakout Rooms API

+1 for this breakout rooms API.

+1 for the Breakout Rooms API from the SchoolBox Team.

Hey everyone,

With the Create, Update, and Get Meeting APIs, you can manage and pre assign breakout rooms:

Thanks,
Tommy

1 Like

This is not a solution.
This is not an API.
This is typical Zoom coming up for a half-baked thing!? for a valid feature requested by hundreds of pro users.
Just like they did with the multiple spotlight feature.
Just like they will do with the NDI feature.

We already could upload a csv to the web portal before this (solution?!).
How much of an improvement is it to do the same thing via a patch request instead of manually uploading?
Is this what you came up with for over a year?

How is this an API if I, as the host, still have close the rooms and return 150 participants in 15 rooms to the main hall just to shuffle them to their new rooms or still click to those damn hover-to-reveal buttons to change their rooms???

Itā€™s a real shame that you donā€™t have any competition in this field. Yes, I admit that Zoom is still the best and we must use it and believe me you hardly deserve this level of success.

Iā€™m 100% sure that the same half-baked solution-like thing will be what youā€™ll do with the much-waited NDI feature.

Iā€™m so frustrated, we were waiting for a whole year for the heavensā€™ sake, Iā€™m so ā€¦ :man_facepalming:t2: :confused:

~ Fatih

Hello @tommy,

Thanks for finally getting back to us! Thatā€™s definitely progress, letā€™s be happy about that. Still the API as is i unsable, for at least two reasons on my side (but Iā€™m sure other people might have their 2 cents here, we are many here!)

Unpredictable order

Hereā€™s the Ruby code I just used to fill the breakout_room parameter:

{
  enable: true,
  rooms: [
    { name: "Table 1", participants: [] },
    { name: "Table 2", participants: [] },
    { name: "Table 3", participants: [] },
    { name: "Table 4", participants: [] },
    { name: "Table 5", participants: [] }
  ]
}

And here is a screenshot of the breakout rooms I get when I join the meeting:

Quite confusing for our students!

Limited options

Creating the breakout rooms with the API gives us the following default options:

In our case, we would like to have the ā€œAllow participants to choose roomā€ ticked by default! This is not mentionned in the API, I guess we could extend the breakout_room JSON we send back to you with a few more booleans.

Hope this thread does not get marked as ā€œSolvedā€ on your end and you can continue improve the API with our feedback! Thank you!

2 Likes

Looks like there is a bug, please look at following post

+1 on a Breakout Room API

2 Likes

Definitely needing the Breakout room API +1

2 Likes

Another request for Breakout Room API. In my case, one additional wish would be to be able to GET which users were present in which breakout room (since when we upload the list pre-meeting, some people may not have actually joined the meeting, and if we assign random breakouts, we would like to know who was in each group later).

2 Likes

+1 for the API request for Breakout rooms

1 Like

The response marked as a solution is also not sufficient for our use case. Our use cases are oral exams in education and we are unable to preassign breakout because:

1. We do not know either the email nor the id of the students in advance (due to privacy)
  2. The breakout rooms are ephemeral but the sum of all breakout rooms during the meetings lifetime surpasses 50

While we are able to get the ids while the meeting is in progress we are unable to put the participants in new breakout rooms.

2 Likes

@tommy Should I open a new issue given that this one is marked as solved?

1 Like

@tommy Another +1 for a complete breakout room API.

1 Like

Our company would really like access to a breakout room api, but mainly to overcome current shortcomings with the client. If we could choose to have breakout rooms and self-assignment enabled automatically it would completely solve our client issues.

We have a single daily re-occurring meeting that weā€™ve assigned multiple breakout rooms for standups. We do this because a decent amount of people jump between them as different standups occur. Keeping them organized in one meeting has been awesome, but this also means someone has to open the rooms and allow self-assignment daily. We keep throwing more co-hosts at the problem as who logs in to open them seems to change day by day, but a client update or an api so an app can fix it for us would be better.

1 Like

+1 here for Breakout Rooms API. We need to be able to dynamically assign participants without zoom accounts to a breakout room based on information collected during our custom authentication, registration, and check-in process. Any person in a roughly 90,000 person set may join the meeting. We expect about 5,000 (but we donā€™t know which 5,000) to be divided up into about 250 breakout rooms according to their registration record data. Registrations can happen after the meeting has started.

3 Likes

+1 for zoom breakout rooms

1 Like

+1 for a FULL robust breakout rooms api.

Really I just want to be able to assign and move people via API.

Or make the randomize feature better - I want to use it as an ice breaker where folx will be matched with someone random multiple times.

3 Likes

Definitely a useful feature. Followingā€¦

+1 for Breakout Rooms API. my use case has been mentioned already

1 Like