Cant disable waiting room even after setting waiting_room to false

Hi,
I was trying to disable waiting_room in the /users/{userId}/meetings API by setting ‘waiting_room’ to false.

After the meeting is created when I fetch the meeting with GET /meetings/{meetingId} API, Its still shown as waiting_room set to True.

can we disable this.? I checked the user account settings and there also waiting room is set to false

Please help.

Thanks

1 Like

Hey @tech,

You can solve this by setting a meeting password.

Meetings must either have waiting room on, or a passcode, or both.

Let me know if that helps! :slight_smile:

Thanks,
Tommy

I’m running five AA meetings a week and getting lots of appreciation. But because of that pesky anonymity thing, I can’t ask people to register. I also want to make it as easy as possible for people, especially new people, to get into the meetings. Since I don’t know who will show up, or what their names are, I have to just admit everyone. This offers no protection against trolls, so what’s the point? I can identify trolls if they show up, and they have not for several months, and remove them, but I can’t bring back someone who is “just looking” if they get upset and remove themselves.
Please make Waiting Rooms an option, not mandatory.
Thanks

2 Likes

100% agree. The inability to disable both the waiting room and the password does not enhance security and just makes zoom a PIA to use on a regular basis. I get making the waiting room the default, but users should have the ability to disable that and the password at their own risk.

2 Likes

Hey @ops @rhfdc,

We appreciate your feedback, and can understand how the additional security changes can impact how you conduct your meetings. While these changes are intended to improve security, I do appreciate your sharing your thoughts, and I’ll make sure this feedback is heard internally.

Best,
Will

1 Like

Oh, no! This is going to complicate things for us :frowning: Why can’t we choose this ourselves?!?! :frowning:

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback @tomgregerknutsen — should you have additional questions about the scenarios outlined here, just let us know.

Thanks,
Will

1 Like

I too would like the option to both turn off waiting room and not use a password like I had it set to before.

1 Like

Another vote here strongly in favor of reverting the previous behavior. For very large meetings, or if children are involved, etc, the new policy makes sense. However, for smaller meetings amongst co-workers or people who know one another, it makes no sense at all and degrades zoom functionality. As a meeting host, I can see who’s logged in or if there’s anything suspicious. It should be totally within my discretion to choose how to run the meeting and how much security is appropriate. I don’t need a nanny.

3 Likes

I run multiple meetings each week both for work (Community Conversations about End of Life, Death Cafes, a movie series) and for other groups I facilitate outside of work. Not being able to disable the waiting room (without a password for users) has impacted my ability to focus on my meeting attendees, because I constantly have to be monitoring who is in the waiting room, who has gotten booted, and having to pay attention to this while also counseling people. It doesn’t work. When showing the movie, I can’t see who is in the waiting room because the movie takes up my full screen. I had people in the waiting room, that I couldn’t see, so couldn’t admit them. They were not happy hda looked forward to this film and one had stayed awake in London (I am in CA) and then got stuck in the waiting room :-(. Please reconsider this, it’s really causing issues for the ways I have used Zoom to run my Community Education program. If it’s not resolved, I have to look at another platform that doesn’t have this hindrance. Thank you for your consideration, and please let me know if this will be addressed, and fixed.

3 Likes

Absolutely agree that having to monitor waiting room affects ability to moderate meetings and events. I also use Zoom for situations where I don’t know who will join so password or waiting room have no use and only serve to cause distraction and technical issues. A host should be able to choose their security settings. I am also now looking into alternative platforms.

3 Likes

Agreed! I understand there are a lot of different use cases for Zoom, and increasingly so. We use it mostly for internal meetings, both recurring meetings with standard URLs and on-the-fly discussions with PMIs. It’s easy to change the recurring URLs to password-protected links, but the fact that PMIs don’t include passwords means that the most informal meetings always require managing a waiting room, which is a hindrance in almost every use case. So for my business, allowing users to disable the new security features would be best, but adding passwords to PMIs would be OK as well.

1 Like

Yeah we really should have the ability to enable/disable with or without password. Not being able to disable waiting room with out a password is a real pain. I am hoping this restriction is removed ASAP

1 Like

Thank you for your feedback, @davefelsenthal @daniel.klebanov @samb_40 @praksisoslo @LLevesque @chrisritchie — while this change is intended to improve security, we do appreciate your sharing your thoughts, and I’ll make sure this feedback makes it to our team.

Best,
Will

1 Like

I algo agree, as a host you should let me choose my security settings, in the last 5 months I had no issues working without passcode and waiting room. I need a better user experience for people connecting from different places and devices especially cell pfones.

1 Like

I have worked around this issue by setting a password, then using a URL Shorter service like rebrandly

e.g. http://rebrand.ly/AAMeeting = https://zoom.us/j/91598182990?pwd=VYNma2Z1aXJBN2p1SFFyZFVzOEpEZz09

This is a simple address to send around to people. This way it has the password in the shortened URL and brings people in directly without the waiting room. It also means you can update the zoom meeting / account if you need, without sending around other link. Hope this helps.

@max1, thank you for the feedback, and can understand where you’re coming from in terms of needing greater flexibility.

@grantw, thanks for offering that workaround!

Best,
Will

just wanted to add another voice to STRONGLY urge you to return to a system where you can opt to have no waiting room or password. This is something users should be allowed to control. It’s really distracting to have to monitor the waiting room while teaching and I also don’t want to use a password. Thank you!

1 Like

Thanks, but this is BS.

I switched off the option for waiting room and only have a password on. (Bc. thats true, that I need either of those)

But STILL I‘m being sent to a waiting room.

Already looking for an alternative to zoom, because 1. lack of flexibility and 2. poor communication to users.

Step up your game, guys.

We work with visually impaired people and we really need to disable waiting room and password. Please remove this restriction !