Closing app does not properly leave the meeting

Description/Error
After joining a zoom meeting through the web sdk client, closing the app by closing the tab/window or refreshing the page doesn’t properly remove the user from the zoom meeting. On other clients, this user will continue to appear on the participants list and a frozen video will show for the user’s video stream.

Expected behavior is observed by clicking on the “leave meeting” option. Otherwise, it is unclear if the web sdk user has left the meeting or if there is some technical issue with the user’s video/audio.

Which Endpoint/s or Web JS SDK?
Web sdk version 1.5.1

How To Reproduce (If applicable)
Join meeting with web sdk and some other (native) client.
Close the web sdk client window.
The user will incorrectly continue to appear in the meeting.

Hi @edward,

Thanks for informing us about this.
By closing the tab to leave the meeting, the participant will show for another 30 secs or so then will be removed. We are aware of this issue and are looking to make enhancements to automatically remove the user when closing the window in one of our future releases.

Thanks

2 Likes

@michael_p.zoom thanks for the update! FYI- the participants is incorrectly shown for much longer than 30 seconds in my tests… sometimes as long as 5 minutes.

Thanks @edward, we will work on fixing this.

-Tommy

Pls keep me posted on this issue

Hey @vijayk.kannan,

We will keep you updated. (DEVELOPERS-584)

Thanks,
Tommy

Is there any update on this ?

Hi @vijayk.kannan,

We’re still working on this issue, however due to the feature freeze[1], this enhancement might be delayed. To stay up to date on the latest release, you can subscribe to your change log page here[2].

1 - https://blog.zoom.us/wordpress/2020/04/01/a-message-to-our-users/
2 - https://marketplace.zoom.us/docs/changelog

Thanks

The following seems to mitigate this problem and I have so far been unable to reproduce the issue with this code on Chrome (closing tab, refreshing, navigating away, etc):

window.addEventListener('unload', () => {
  ZoomMtg.leaveMeeting({});
});

That said, I’m not sure if this is a reliable solution. It would depend on the implementation of leaveMeeting (i.e. does this send a request with keepalive, is it synchronous, etc). There is a limited amount of time to respond to the unload event and any asynchronous XHR requests without a keepalive can easily be cancelled by the browser. Perhaps Zoom folks could chime in on this.

3 Likes

Hey @steveg,

Thanks for sharing this. This is in our backlog to fix, but I do not have a timeline.

-Tommy

Any update on a fix for this, or any ideas for a workaround meanwhile? I am seeing the same as @steveg above. Thanks

Hey @k77,

At the moment we don’t have a solid timeline, though this is on our radar and our team will be addressing this in an upcoming release.

Thanks,
Will

1 Like

Hi @k77 & @tommy,

When I leave or end the Meeting if I start meeting immediately again, the Host will appear twice in the Participant list but after 30 seconds, the old one will get removed automatically, what is the solution for this.

Regards,
Fayaz

Hi @steveg,

No, i am using your workaround, but it does not work properly, i can see participants for 30-40 seconds after the meeting is end.

Thanks
Fayaz

Perhaps someone from Zoom can respond… @tommy or @will.zoom ?

Hey @k77, @fayazvar.mobile,

Please follow this thread for updates:

Basically what is happening is Zoom detects that the user is no longer in the meeting after 30ish seconds, then removes the participant from the UI.

Thanks,
Tommy

Why is my zoom not letting me leave the meeting

Hey @rmknigh1,

Please create a new topic here: #client-web-sdk and fill out the post template so we have enough details to help. :slight_smile:

Thanks,
Tommy

Pls remove this feature pls

Hey @r473641,

If you’re encountering issues with a feature of the Web SDK, please submit a new post in the #client-web-sdk category and fill out the post template. We will be sure to assist you ASAP.

Thanks,
Max