Controlling Participant Identities

This is a follow-up to my post here.

I’m trying to mandate that participants join the call using the link assigned to them so that the name I give the users always appears in the participant sidebar. The goal is to prevent participants from displaying any identifying information other than what I set.

The settings I am using to enable this:

1. Register all participants with names I provide (Participant1, Participant2, etc…)
  2. Set Registration Type = 1 in the meeting settings
  3. Set Approval Type = 1 (Manual Approval) in the meeting settings
  4. Change account settings to block users from changing their names while in the call

Can you confirm that doing the following will achieve this goal? Are there any edge cases where names would still appear? Tagging @Will.Zoom who helped with the last post.

Hey @aj.feather,

Thank you for reaching out to the Zoom Developer Forum. The only instance where you may run into issues was covered by Will in the last post. I can’t think of any other edge cases that you would encounter.

I hope that helps! Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Max

Thanks, Max. The “Client Settings” Will mentioned are only available in the SDKs, correct? My app uses the API.

Hey @aj.feather,

Thank you for the update. My mistake, I thought that you were using the Web SDK in combination with the API. You’re correct, this would only be available through the SDK as the API does not currently have an endpoint to update a participant’s display name in a meeting.

If you are using SSO, I have seen examples of others using that to set a display name that can’t be modified.

Otherwise, it does seem this edge case is somewhat of a blind spot and there isn’t a good way to set a participant’s display name using the API. If you would like this feature to be considered for a future release, I recommend posting in the Feature Requests category.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Max

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.