Webhooks for detecting participant name changes

Our Zoom integration shows all meeting participants on a map. After people join meetings, they often change their name by going to the “…” menu that hovers over their video and choosing “Rename” (this description is from the macOS client, it is possibly different in other clients). I believe this sets what’s called “Display Name” on https://zoom.us/profile and “user_name” in the “meeting.participant_joined” webhook.

Some examples of why people change their display names: they are using a shared computer and are accidentally logged in as their spouse, or they have their display name set to a joke for a non-work context and then realize and change it to their real name for work.

We’d love to get a notification when this happens so we can update their names on the map.

The closest thing I can find is the “user.updated” webhook, but this doesn’t serve our purposes for a couple of reasons:

• It only gives us updates for users who have OAuthed (in our user managed app) or for users in a given account (for our account level app).
  • It contains “first_name” and “last_name” instead of “user_name”, and I don’t believe the “first_name” and “last_name” fields are displayed in the Zoom client when someone is participating in a meeting.

Is there a way to do this? If not, any chance there’s a “meeting.participant_updated” webhook on the roadmap?

1 Like

Hey @davidbalbert,

Thank you for reaching out to the Zoom Developer Forum. After looking further into our Webhooks I was able to confirm that we don’t have an event that will cover this use case.

I think that something like a meeting.particpant_updated event is a great idea! If you would like this to be considered for a future release, I recommend posting in the #feature-requests category.

In the meantime, you can try calling the List Meeting Participants Dashboard API at the start of the meeting to get a list of participant IDs and map them to the user_name (Display Name).

Later on, you can call that API again and check if any of the participants have a new user_name for a given ID that you’ve stored. You can then update the Display Name that participant is using in your code.

I’m not sure if that would work for your use case, let me know if that helps.

Thanks,
Max

1 Like

Hi Max,

Thanks so much. This is very helpful. I’ll post something in #feature-requests next week.

We’ve been trying to stay away from the Dashboard API because not all of our users have access to it, and because we’re worried about accidentally going over the rate limit. I’ll take a look to see if there’s a way we can make it work for this feature.

Yours,
Dave

Hey @davidbalbert,

Great, I’m glad that was useful! Let us know if you encounter any further issues or questions.

Thanks,
Max

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.