Understanding when and why User Names vs. Registrant Names appear

Description

I’m wondering if there is a comprehensive list of rules for when a registrant’s name appears vs the name of the user that has entered the call shows up.

For example, I set up several meetings where I gave the participants names “Caller1, Caller2, etc…” When users join with the link, the name I give them displays in the participant list, regardless of whether they are logged into their Zoom account or not. However, when the user is logged into their account AND they manually enter the Meeting ID into the app, their username shows up instead of the name I gave them.

I’m mostly curious because this breaks a workaround I had for identifying participants after experiencing the issue here. Is there any way I can lock the participants to the registrant name I assign them?

Which App Type (OAuth / Chatbot / JWT / Webhook)?
JWT

Which Endpoint/s?
Participant Joined Webhook

How To Reproduce (If applicable)
Steps to reproduce the behavior:

1. Book a meeting
  2. Add several registrants to the meeting
  3. Sign in to some Zoom account that is not a meeting registrant
  4. Join by clicking the join link for one of the registrants - the registrant name should appear in the participant list
  5. Leave the meeting
  6. Join by manually entering the Meeting ID into your desktop Zoom application - your username should appear in the participant list

Hey @aj.feather,

Good questions. Happy to help clarify.

I set up several meetings where I gave the participants names “Caller1, Caller2, etc…” When users join with the link, the name I give them displays in the participant list, regardless of whether they are logged into their Zoom account or not.

To clarify, are you registering these users and that’s how you’re setting their names? Or are you referring to a different action? If you register your users and they join using their unique join_url, the names designated in their registration should be reflected when they join.

However, when the user is logged into their account AND they manually enter the Meeting ID into the app, their username shows up instead of the name I gave them.

If a user is logged into their Zoom account and does not use their unique join_url, their display name will default to that which is associated to their account by default.

Is there any way I can lock the participants to the registrant name I assign them?

If a user joins a meeting logged in with their default Zoom profile (not using join_url), or as a guest (not logged in at all), you won’t be able to designate their display name upon joining. You can, however, update this once they join via the Client settings.

Let me know if this helps to clarify,
Will

Yes, I was registering the users. Thank you for clarifying how this works.

Glad this helps, @aj.feather :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.