Converting meeting local recordings on linux

Hi

I am using the Meeting SDK to create a bot that does local recording of the meeting and then store the recordings to my server.

I use StartRecording() to record the meeting and I get the following files:

• double_click_to_convert_01.meetingrec
  • double_click_to_convert_02.meetingrec
  • zoomver.tag

I want a mp4 video file instead. I have read through the forums and found following tips:

• Convert using zTscoder: I am on Linux and this utility seems to be available for Windows only. What would be the equivalent for Linux so that I can programmatically trigger the conversion?
  • Enable “Optimize for 3rd party video editor” setting: This would produce a file compatible with 3rd part video editing software, according to the docs. However, enabling this setting using the SDK through m_settingService->GetRecordingSettings()->EnableOptimizeFor3rdPartyVideoEditor(true) doesn’t seem to have any effect and I still get the recording files in .meetingrec format. How can we make this work?

Thanks
Vaibhav

@vaibhav-gritae

want a mp4 video file instead. I have read through the forums and found following tips:

• Convert using zTscoder: I am on Linux and this utility seems to be available for Windows only. What would be the equivalent for Linux so that I can programmatically trigger the conversion?

There is no such equivalent on Linux. I would recommending working on Raw Data instead of local recording.

• Enable “Optimize for 3rd party video editor” setting: This would produce a file compatible with 3rd part video editing software, according to the docs. However, enabling this setting using the SDK through m_settingService->GetRecordingSettings()->EnableOptimizeFor3rdPartyVideoEditor(true) doesn’t seem to have any effect and I still get the recording files in .meetingrec format. How can we make this work?

This setting only affects cloud recording.

Hey @vaibhav-gritae ,

As Chun Siong mentioned, the recommended approach here is to work with the Raw Data instead of a local recording. This should provide you the flexibility you need to control the video output in a format your use case requires.

Our team runs meeting bots at a very large scale, and we use GStreamer to achieve a similar functionality. GStreamer is an open-source multimedia framework that allows you to work with raw data by handling video/audio streams and outputting media files in various formats.

If you didn’t want to handle the complexities of implementing this yourself, an alternative is to use Recall.ai for your meeting bots instead. It’s a simple 3rd party API that lets you use meeting bots to get raw audio/video and mp4 recordings from meetings without you needing to spend months to build, scale and maintain these bots.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Thanks. We have a call set up with Recall team and will explore it.