[Desktop SDK (Windows 10, C++)] Unresolved External Error

Description
I’m in the process of trying to create a wrapper program for Zoom in C++, with Visual Studio 2019. I was trying to follow the steps in the documentation to initialize the Zoom SDK, but after some confusion I ran into this thread (Initialize Zoom SDK) that informed me that that specific part of the documentation may be a little bit out of date.

Then, I decided to explore sdk_demo_v2, and quickly realized that the header files and classes used were differently named than in the files you can find under …/h. Despite my efforts, I’m not that experienced of a developer; I couldn’t really figure out how to replicate the demo app’s functionality in the end. With not much to go on, I decided to dive into the SDK documentation a bit to see how I can go about initializing the Zoom SDK, and ended up with the code you can see in the first screenshot down below.

You can see relevant errors and warnings given by VS in the screenshot below, including 1 “unresolved external symbol _InitSDK referenced in function_main”. I’m guessing this has something to do with Configuration Properties, but I followed all the steps listed in the link here (https://marketplace.zoom.us/docs/sdk/native-sdks/windows/getting-started/integration), so I’m not sure this is the case.

So, down to the problems I really need help solving:

  1. How do I resolve the error?
  2. Is there a more reliable set of instructions I can follow in order to get the Zoom SDK up and running? I’m looking to hopefully get the full functionality out of Zoom through the C++ wrapper, but I’m sort of stuck and I haven’t even gotten past authentication yet…

Which Windows Client SDK version?
I’m working with zoom-sdk-windows-5.5.12511.0422.

Screenshots


Image of code, warnings, errors listed.

Device (please complete the following information):

  • Device: Dell G5
  • OS: Windows 10

Hey @vlyalung,

Thanks for using the dev forum!

I also believe this is a configuration properties issue. When you get a “unresolved external symbol” error, it means that the header file for a given function was found, but the actual binary for that function could not be found. Usually this happens because the application is not being properly linked to the library that the function belongs to, in this case the sdk library.

My first suggestion would be to double check your linker settings. Go to your project’s configuration properties and under Linker->General->Additional Library Directories, make sure to add the path to your “lib” folder. Also double check that the sdk.dll file is within your lib folder. This will tell your application to expect to use a library in that folder. Then under Linker->Input->Additional Directories, make sure you have added “sdk.lib”. This will tell your application which library to look for.

If you still run into errors after that, I would open up the configuration manager for the demo_v2 project and mimic what those settings are for your environment.

One other thing to keep in mind, is that your project must be set to “Release” and “Win32” or “x86”.

Thanks!
Michael

Hi Michael! Thanks for the reply. I did as you said, but found that sdk.dll was in the bin folder instead of the lib folder. Moved it to the lib folder and realized that I set Linker->Input->Additional Directories to the path containing sdk.lib instead of sdk.lib itself. Finally, I realized I forgot to set my project to Release.

It all started working after that last bit! Thanks for your help!

Hey @vlyalung,

Awesome, thank is great news!
Please let us know if you run into any other issues :slight_smile:

Thanks!
Michael