Disable email notifications when a Webinar attendee is cancelled or denied

Similar to others here, what we are doing is building a wrapper application around the webinar and meeting creation and maintenance experience using the Zoom APIs. Part of this app is sending the various emails related to the webinar and meeting lifecycle - confirmation emails to registrants and panelists, update notification emails, etc.

For this to work properly, all emails which normally Zoom sends to meeting and webinar participants should be disabled, so that not to have people receiving duplicate emails for one and the same purpose from our application and from Zoom.

Using the API capabilities and the account-level settings through the Zoom portal, we have managed to effectively stop Zoom from sending its own emails. The one remaining type of email which I could not find a way to stop is the email sent to a webinar registrant when his/her registration is removed from the webinar (when the particular person is removed from the list of approved attendees, not when the webinar itself is deleted). We use the following API endpoint to cancel or deny the attendee - https://marketplace.zoom.us/docs/api-reference/zoom-api/webinars/webinarregistrantstatus

My question is - is there a way to disable the email which Zooms sends to a webinar attendee when the host cancels or denies the attendee registration?

Hey @v.hristov, thanks for posting and using Zoom!

Unfortunately we do not have a setting to disable email notifications when a Zoom Webinar attendee is cancelled or denied.

I tried putting an email other than the user who I was denying hoping that the pending user would not receive the deny email, but the deny was successful, and it still sent the email to the associated user.

-Tommy

Thanks for the quick response, @tommy and for testing this out.

What would then be your recommendation on avoiding the situation where a webinar attendee who was initially (auto-)registered but is then removed by the webinar receives two emails about his removal from the webinar - one with the non-customizable content sent by Zoom and the other one, customized as per our requirements, sent by our app?

As a side note, would it be possible to add such option to the API backlog? I would expect that there are a lot of people who build their own email (or alternative channels) notifications to webinar panelists and attendees, hence would like to be able to remove from Zoom the responsibility of sending out those emails for the different events happening in the webinar lifecycle. I noticed that similar questions have been raised in the past by other users here in the forum.

Ideally, for the particular use case of cancelling or denying a webinar registrant, I would see this as an additional parameter in the API call https://marketplace.zoom.us/docs/api-reference/zoom-api/webinars/webinarregistrantstatus, next to the “action” and “registrants” parameters.

Even better for our use case would be a general on/off switch on the webinar settings which enables or disables all emails Zoom normally sends for the given webinar.

Hey @v.hristov, happy to help!

Since the Zoom webinar attendee canalization and denial email cannot be turned off, I would suggest not sending the custom one you have, and instead let Zoom handle that part.

I know this is not ideal, and I will pass your suggestion on as a feature request to our engineering team.

Thanks,
Tommy

Hi @tommy,

Thanks for the suggestion and for forwarding the feature request to the engineering team, hope that it can make it to the API at some point.

1 Like

Hey @v.hristov,

You can keep an eye on our releases here: https://marketplace.zoom.us/docs/changelog

Thanks,
Tommy

@v.hristov - I’m running into a similar issue. But how did you disable the automated email notifications to panelists? We disabled the setting on the sub account but when we create a panelist through the API, the email notifications are still being sent to the panelist.

Hi @spencer.lee,

Which type of email to panelists in particular you would like to disable?
If it is the initial invitation email which is usually sent when the host adds someone as panelist, this is disabled through the Zoom portal: Go to Admin -> Account Management -> Webinar Settings then go to the Email Settings section, click on Edit in the Invitation Email to Panelists row and uncheck the “Send Invitation Email to Panelists” checkbox.

Another thing which you should be doing is to set to false the registrants_email_notification and notify_registrants fields when creating and updating the webinars. If I remember correctly, there was some complication where one of these fields was available on in the webinar update API call, so it might be necessary to update the webinar after you create it in order for these settings to come into effect.

Hope this helps.

Hey @spencer.lee, thanks for posting and using Zoom!

@v.hristov nailed it on the head!

Let us know if you have any more questions!

Thanks,
Tommy

Perfect, thanks both!!

1 Like

Happy to help! :slight_smile:

Thanks,
Tommy

Is this still working? value not returned in the GET meeting. seems only registrants_email_notification works.
Thanks

Hey @oori,

Can you share your request body and response so I can debug why registrants_email_notification is not there?

Thanks,
Tommy

@tommy
Thanks for the quick reply.

The opposite, notify_registrants is missing.

Ho @oori,

What we are doing is that immediately after we create the webinar, we issue an update to it through the webinar update API endpoint. IIRC, this is needed as some of the webinar settings (maybe it was the notify_registrants) does not have an effect at webinar creation, only at webinar update.
So far this has been working without problem for several months at least.

Thanks for sharing your solution @v.hristov!

@oori, let me know if you have additional questions.

-Tommy

I would appreciate a solution for this too, but for meetings (not Webinars).

The change suggested here would also work for me: Disable email notifications when a Webinar attendee is cancelled or denied

My use case is the following: I register attendees to a meeting and after a few minutes I make them expire (I don’t want people to join 1 hour later). The cancelation notification is then confusing for the attendees. As a workaround, I think I’ll need to disable both notifications and implement the confirmation notification myself.

Thanks

Hey @diegoj,

Thanks for your input. Yes, I suggest disabling the notifications and handling them on your end.

Thanks,
Tommy

It’s been 2 years now. Has there been any traction on this? We also need to prevent registration cancellation emails from being sent to attendees of webinars and meetings. We need all the emails to have our organizations branding and look, and more importantly to steer the user to our website, not Zoom’s.