Expanded Co-Hosting Abilities

I teach an online course using the Zoom platform, and there are three teachers for 30 students in the class. Currently, the only person that can setup breakout rooms, manage polls, etc. is the teacher that enters the room first.

I want other teachers to have this ability so that, for example, someone can be setting up breakout rooms while I am doing a screen share. Set things up so that anyone designated as a host or co-host has the same abilities, please! It’s weird to be a co-host without the ability to do things like move between breakout 

3 Likes

Hi Brett, this is on our roadmap - we will be providing complete break out controls for co-host. A rough ETA is Dec '18.

That is exactly the feature we need when running multi host events. I see that this was supposed to be implemented in Dec '18. Could you give us an update on when the feature will be added?

Hey @andy.burnett,

I believe this is already released,

For additional questions unrelated to the Zoom App Marketplace and APIs, please reach out to support.zoom.us

Thanks,
Tommy

1 Like

Hi Tommy,
As far as I can tell, co-hosts still can’t manage breakout room allocation. Is there a setting that we have missed?

Hey @andy.burnett,

For better assistance can you please reach out to support.zoom.us as I am unfamiliar with the breakout rooms settings.

Thanks,
Tommy

OK, no problem. I will contact support, and report back into this thread for anyone who finds this.

1 Like

Thanks Andy! :slight_smile:

-Tommy

Sadly, it turns out that this is not possible. Support said the following

Jan 21, 15:30 EST

Hello Andy -

Thank you for contacting Zoom support.

I am sorry to report the information on that thread is incorrect and there is no such capability for co-hosts in Zoom meetings.

We have an article on our free support site Support.Zoom.us which details what co-hosts can and cannot do. A direct link to the article is here:

The specific section detailing the Co-Host and breakout room is here:

Please let me know if you have any questions or if I can offer further assistance

Thanks for the follow up Andy!

-Tommy

Going back to the OP, I’d like to advocate for this feature to be included - ie, allowing co-hosts, once the original host has started the meeting and assigned a co-host, to manage breakout groups. I’d find this super helpful in managing groups 50+ for whom I want participants to be in specific groups rather than random groups, but most participants (school students <13 yrs) likely will not have an account for pre-assigning.

Hey @andrew.horsfield,

Please reach out to support.zoom.us for questions unrelated to the Zoom App Marketplace platform.

Thanks,
Tommy

Likewise would LOVE co-hosts to be able to create break-out rooms. It’s really distracting to try teaching while setting these up.

Hey @strengthstrategiesas,

Please reach out to support.zoom.us for questions unrelated to the Zoom App Marketplace platform.

Thanks,
Tommy

Just advocating the ability to let co-hosts be able to manage participants in breakout rooms (ie. move participants from one room to another) is greatly needed. Even a setting to allow participants to be able to move themselves would also solve many functionality frustrations users are experiencing with only having a host be able to move them.

1 Like

Thanks @jburdette! I agree this would be helpful.

Please submit this here: zoom.us/feed

-Tommy

It’s hard to believe this request has been brought up over two years ago and still hasn’t been implemented. My school site has multiple teacher aides that work with small groups, so having them have the ability to create breakout groups instead of only the teacher would help immensely. With so many teachers using zoom, it makes sense now more than ever for co-hosts to have this ability. I reached out to support and hopefully with enough requests this feature will be added.

Hey @jaleman,

Please submit this product feature request directly: zoom.us/feed.

This forum is for the Zoom App Marketplace.

Thanks,
Tommy

Hello,

I would also like to check the status, and advocate for, either expanding co-host abilities to control breakout rooms, creating the role of room moderator, or adding the ability to have 2 hosts in the ever-growing realm of zoom online conferences, festivals, and those online events that heavily utilize breakout rooms.

I understand the current answer is “because that’s how it is, please review our breakout room FAQ,” but my question is WHY? Is there not enough of a “need” for this update/change/addition? Are there any plans to add/create/update this for pro accounts in the near future?

One person moving hundreds around breakout rooms, even while utilizing pre-registration and current co-hosts, is a logistical nightmare. Would love to know if any updates are in the works.

Well, I also have been waiting for this… cohost (usually is my assistant) should be allowed to move among breakrooms, especially when I need to break up a class into partnered groups…

Well, since there has been so long for this request not to be answered, I take it as “it will never happen”… So, the conclusion is to use another conferencing software.