Want co-host NOT to be put into breakout rooms, and to be able to answer help requests

I teach a class of about 40 students, and have one other teacher. I can make the other teacher a co-host. But when I have Zoom put all the students into breakout rooms to do an exercise in pairs, Zoom puts my co-host into a room same as a student. This is awkward. She has to exit into the main session, and her “partner” - the other student in the room - now doesn’t have an exercise partner. I have to search for a place to put this other student so he/she has a partner.

Also my co-host (the other teacher) can’t see if someone in a breakout room asks for help. I’m the only one (as host) who can see that. We need for both of us to be able to see if a student asks for help. We also need for her as co-host to be able to click on the “respond to help request” button, to go into a breakout room.

Ideally you would give choices in the setup for us to decide what powers we want to give to our co-hosts. I’d like my co-host to be able to do everything I can do as host: especially NOT to be placed into a breakout room. And to be able to see the request for help button, and respond to it. Thanks!

3 Likes

Hi @conniraea,

Thanks for the suggestion, we’ll make sure our Engineers are aware of this so that they can prioritize this for a future release.

Can we make co-host to assign people/himself to a breakout room?
Right now I see the only host can do that.

Hey @kunal,

Please reach out to support.zoom.us for questions unrelated to the Zoom Developer Platform.

You can see info about managing breakout rooms here:

Thanks,
Tommy

1 Like

Hello, Michael,
Any update for this, please?
We have started using Zoom for our company and the co-host really would need this feature. Thank you.

Hey @avasile.mobil,

As a work around you could put the co host in their own breakout room seperate from the students.

Please reach out to support.zoom.us for questions unrelated to the Zoom Developer Platform.

Thanks,
Tommy

Thanks Tommy, good idea!

Huge upvote here: Need to be able to create breakouts and not have co-hosts put in (messes up the numbers/activity assignments as noted above)

2 Likes

Question @tommy : the workaround, as I understand it, would work if you assign people to groups, not if you use the auto-generate (which is what I really need and is a huge value)

I’d like an option to not assign co-hosts to breakouts.

Use case is 100-200 participants divided into rooms of 3-4 with only participants (no co-hosts) in room. Automatically making rooms is best way to start, but then I need to do cleanup to find and remove all co-hosts, then shuffle rooms.

1 Like

We’re looking for an update on this as well - we often start sessions with rapid rounds of 2-3 people, auto assign to breakout rooms for connection before we dive into content. Right now, the co-hosts have to either leave the room, leaving someone in the room themselves, or stay in the room and do the activity, which is really wonky. It’s very difficult for the host to locate and move the co-hosts around when participants are in rooms for only a few minutes, then brought back, then the rooms are recreated for another few minutes, etc.

1 Like

Any progress on this? It’s been >2 years since the original suggestion. I make my teaching assistant a co-host but they can’t see the Ask for Help requests made by our students, and it makes it really difficult to respond to their needs.

1 Like

Its now been >3 years, any update? I would love to not have to search a list of 60 people for my 6 co-hosts and put them in there own breakout room and delete it so that they aren’t in a normal room. This takes so much time and sometimes I only have seconds to get breakout rooms up and ready.

1 Like

It would be really great if Zoom could prioritize this fix.

Can we make co-host to assign people/himself to apps? Right now I see the only host can do that.