Find out whether user is currently on a call

Using this template helps us debug your issues more effectively :slight_smile:

Description
I would like to be able to get access to data as to whether or not a user is currently connected on a meeting. I tried /users/{id} and /users/{id}/settings but I don’t see anything.

I thought that the status property on /users/{id} would provide this information but this status stays as active whether I am on a call or not. In fact it stays active even when I have signed out of Zoom altogether…

Error
n/a

Which App Type (OAuth / Chatbot / JWT / Webhook)?
OAuth

1 Like

Hey @cja,

Thanks for reaching out about this, and welcome to our Developer Community. :slight_smile:

The best way to capture this information would be to leverage our User Presence Status Updated webhook:

This will provide any of the following values for the user in near real time:

Let me know if this helps!
Will

1 Like

Hi Will, thanks for your reply.

I have enabled the event subscription, subscribed to " “ User’s presence status has been updated ”, and provided an endpoint URL, and also added the /user:write scope to my app but nothing is showing up at my webhook.

I’m also confused as to how the authorisation works. For the API I would put the user’s access token in the header of the request, but there doesn’t seem to be anything like this for the webhook.

Hi @cja,

What type of app are you using? If it’s an OAuth App, please ensure that you’ve installed the app locally as well.

Additionally, please check that the endpoint you’ve provided is accessible and prepared to return a 200OK response upon receiving Zoom payloads.

Thanks,
Will

@will.zoom My app is an OAuth app but right now I am just making posts through Postman to test the endpoints, so for now there is nothing to install. For testing the webhook, I am just using webhook.site to check for incoming requests.

Hey @cja,

I’m happy to help out here. To clarify, when you navigate to your testable URL (development) or your publishable URL (production) and authorize your app, that is installing the app.

Make sure that you fill out the requisite information and then click generate in order to generate a URL to authorize/install the app for your user:

Further, I noticed that you are using a local URL for your development OAuth Redirect URL. This will cause issues when attempting to use OAuth as only HTTPS secured and publicly accessible URLs are supported.

When testing, you can use a tool like Ngrok to create an HTTPS secure public URL that routes to your local development server.

I hope that helps! Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Max

Thanks @MaxM , the testable URL was the thing that I was missing! I am now seeing the webhook making posts to the endpoint when I join and leave meetings, which was the first stage I wanted to get to. I will now work on a proper redirect behaviour. Thanks so much for your help and to @will.zoom too :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m glad to hear that helped! I’ll go ahead and close this topic now but feel free to open a new topic if you encounter any further issues or questions.

Max