How to get 720p on Android

Hi,
We’re looking at the video-sdk for android. We want to conduct 1:1 video calls with at least 720p resolution. We have tried the sample sdk and get, at best, 480p. Searching the forum and the code shows a lot of “when will android support 720p resolution” questions with no clear answer. In the documentation, looking at handling raw data, there is this line: “The Android SDK supports receiving videos in the resolutions enumerated in the reference entry for ZoomSDKVideoResolution on the Android SDK reference page, with the exception of 720p resolution.”

Can I use this sdk to get HD on Android?
Jerry

Hi @jerry_onscreen , I see you’re getting that from this doc which points to this reference here, but our other Android Video SDK reference has 720p resolution listed as an option so admittedly I’m a bit confused myself.

Have you tried the latter? I need to connect with the SDK team to confirm the most accurate information.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention!

Have tried this:
int ret= user.getVideoPipe().subscribe(ZoomVideoSDKVideoResolution.VideoResolution_1080P, rawDataRenderer);
which is in the sample code.
So far, 480 p is best i can get. Is there a formula that includes aspect ratio? It seems the sample app sticks to 4:3,

Hi @jerry_onscreen but you haven’t tried ZoomVideoSDKVideoResolution.VideoResolution_720P?

Which sample code are you referring to please?

Apologies for dropping the ball on this, but as soon as you share the sample code reference, I can follow up with our SDK engineers.

Hi,
I’m talking about the mobilertc sample app that comes with the video-sdk …
package us.zoom.sdksample;
I download it from the marketplace, step 2 .
The setting is made (I believe) in MeetingActivity.java:
I have just tried switching to ZoomVideoSDKVideoResolution.VideoResolution_720P, and still got 480 p

protected void subscribeVideoByUser(ZoomVideoSDKUser user) {
        if (renderType == RENDER_TYPE_ZOOMRENDERER) {
            ZoomVideoSDKVideoAspect aspect = ZoomVideoSDKVideoAspect.ZoomVideoSDKVideoAspect_LetterBox;
            if (ZoomVideoSDK.getInstance().isInSession()) {
                aspect = ZoomVideoSDKVideoAspect.ZoomVideoSDKVideoAspect_Original;
            }
            if (null != currentShareUser) {
                currentShareUser.getShareCanvas().unSubscribe(zoomCanvas);
            }
            user.getVideoCanvas().unSubscribe(zoomCanvas);
            int ret=user.getVideoCanvas().subscribe(zoomCanvas, aspect);
            if(ret!= ZoomVideoSDKErrors.Errors_Success)

{
                Toast.makeText(this,"subscribe error:"+ret,Toast.LENGTH_LONG).show();
            }
        } else {
            if (ZoomVideoSDK.getInstance().isInSession()) {
                rawDataRenderer.setVideoAspectModel(RawDataRenderer.VideoAspect_Original);
            } else {
                rawDataRenderer.setVideoAspectModel(RawDataRenderer.VideoAspect_Full_Filled);
            }
                currentShareUser.getSharePipe().unSubscribe(rawDataRenderer);
            }
            user.getVideoPipe().unSubscribe(rawDataRenderer);
            Log.i(TAG,"about to subscribe with video resolution 1080p");
           int ret= user.getVideoPipe().subscribe(ZoomVideoSDKVideoResolution.VideoResolution_1080P, rawDataRenderer);
           if(ret!= ZoomVideoSDKErrors.Errors_Success)
           {
               Toast.makeText(this,"subscribe error:"+ret,Toast.LENGTH_LONG).show();
           }
        }
        mActiveUser = user;
        onUserActive(mActiveUser);

if (null != user.getVideoStatus()) {
            updateVideoAvatar(user.getVideoStatus().isOn());
        }

btnViewShare.setVisibility(View.VISIBLE);
        } else {
            btnViewShare.setVisibility(View.GONE);
        }
    }

I can point you to the place where I download it, but it is included with the SDK … hope that helps.
Jerry

You use low frame rate in the android to get better results like 720p.

Hi Mican,
Is this the official Zoom position? I am at 15fps, so going lower will not give smooth video. How low do you say to go to get 720p?
Jerry

Hi @gianni.zoom ,
Is there any update on this? I tried Mican’s idea to lower framerate…still 480 p at best