How to set names of participants in meetings before meeting begins

Description
On fetching the vtt of a meeting. The names of the participants are often that of the host machine or phone that the user joined on. Is there any chance we could at least in the vtt get the host recognized as participant a or b or whatever so as other users can be easily differentiated programmatically.

Hey @Brendan_OHara, thanks for posting and using Zoom!

It depends on if the users are logged in to Zoom when joining, or if they are joining by phone.

However, a good way to accomplish this would be to enable meeting registration, which would give every participant (logged in or not logged in) a name via a unique join url. (Does not include joining via phone however).

You can add registrants via our API, or in the Zoom Web Portal.

Thanks,
Tommy

Hi Tommy,

thanks for your response.
Unfortunately the majority of users will be joining via the mobile. We know the identity of both participants of the call and would like to be able to depict which is which in the transcription file.

Please advise.

Thanks

Brendan

Hey @Brendan_OHara,

Can you clarify how exactly the users are joining on mobile?

Are they joining the meeting with the Zoom App, and then calling in for the audio portion?

Thanks,
Tommy

Hi Tommy,

they are joining using the zoom app for everything (including audio).

Brendan

Hi Tommy,
in essence, I’d like to be able to detect who is the meeting host in the VTT file.
Is that possible?

Thanks

Brendan

Hey @Brendan_OHara,

Thanks for the additional details. In the payload with the VTT file included, the meeting host is listed as the host_id:

https://marketplace.zoom.us/docs/api-reference/zoom-api/cloud-recording/recordingget

https://marketplace.zoom.us/docs/api-reference/webhook-reference/recording-events/recording-completed

The host_id is not included in the actual VTT file though.

Thanks,
Tommy

Hi Tommy,

Thanks for that. So my problem is that I need to link the host_id with one of the users in the VTT file.
Is that possible at all?

Brendan

Hey @Brendan_OHara,

Can you link via User Name?

Thanks,
Tommy