How to update display name of the user using zoom api

I need to update the user’s display name through api call. I inspect the zoom after logged in as admin and update the user display name and found that a call is happening to https://zoom.us/profile/userinfo. I tried hitting the same from post man to update the display name of the user, but it’s redirecting me to a login page. Please help I need to change the display name of the user without updating firstName and lastName.

Hey @gundamaiah.a5,

Thank you for reaching out to the Zoom Developer Forum. Just to clarify, are you referring to updating a user’s profile as it exists in the Zoom portal, or are you referring to updating the Display Name of the user in a Zoom meeting?

Any additional details you can provide will greatly assist.

Thanks,
Max

Hi @MaxM,

My requirement is to show the display name of the host in zoom meeting which is different than the first Name and last name of the user. By default zoom is taking combination of firstName and lastName. So I am not seeing the property display Name in updateUser api in zoom.

I tried updating the user’s display Name from zoom portal by admin login and found its using https://zoom.us/profile/userinfo to update the display Name of the user, so I took requestBody and url and tried hitting the same from Postman, but it’s redirecting me to the login page.

Hey @gundamaiah.a5,

Thank you for providing additional information. While there is not currently an API that will allow you to update the Display Name of a user, you can enable registration which will allow users to set their Display Name based on the information they provide when they register.

I hope that helps! Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Max

@MaxM thanks for the reply. I am registering the users through api and need to give different display name. If that’s not possible. Is there any way to use different name to display during meetings. I need to hide the host user’s actual name(firstname+lastname) in meetings.

When registering via the API, you can just use the first name field and enter whatever you wish. Leave the last name blank. This works great for me.

Hey @gundamaiah.a5,

Thank you for providing additional information and thank you to @grantw for sharing your use-case. Is this something that would work for you as a workaround? If you would like to see the ability to change Display Names via the API, I recommend posting to our #feature-requests category.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,
Max

Hey @gundamaiah.a5,

FYI, another method to give a user a different Display Name (rather than firstName and lastName) is if you are using SSO you can use a SAML mapping to add new Display Name. Once you enable this, the user will see the new Display Name attribute in their profile, however it will be greyed out and they cannot modify it. Please note as @MaxM mentioned, currently there is not an API that will allow you to modify this Display Name attribute. It will only be modified/updated via SAML when the user SSO’s into Zoom.

There was previously another method modify your meeting join links using Client URL Schemes however this is currently Deprecated. It may OR may not come back in future.

Thanks

Dan

Hey @DanN,

Thank you for your input! I appreciate that we have a couple of different methods to approach this on the thread now. That’s very helpful! :slight_smile:

Thanks,
Max

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.