Implement Virtual Backgrounds in Linux

With the growing user base of linux, I simply don’t understand why Zoom can’t implement their virtual background feature on Windows and Mac OS on linux. It’s not as if the code is specific to one operating system: sure, there might be a few necessary adjustments, but practically all the work needed for virtual backgrounds on linux has already been done. There’s many people out there who use Zoom daily in work and online school who also need virtual backgrounds, so an entire operating system that is a major part of online infrastructure not having this feature is unfortunate. Of course, there’s a pattern with poor support for linux, but various distributions have been gaining more momentum during quarantine, so there’s a very strong case for also prioritizing the linux version of the app.

37 Likes

I strongly agree. Especially for developers linux is a very common choice and the virtual background feature (without greenscreen - nobody has a greenscreen) is an important feature for working remotely.

There is even a hacky workaround for linux using free open source tools but of course this is not a real solution. Nevertheless it shows it can’t be very difficult to implement this functionality for linux. 18.04 - How can I choose the Zoom virtual background feature using Ubuntu? - Ask Ubuntu

4 Likes

Yes but all these workarounds are 10x more laggy than zoom client’s native virtual background feature on windows and way less convenient

4 Likes

I just tried to prove it doesn’t work, to show my colleagues how bad the linux version was, and surprise! it actually works. And quite well I must say.

Zoom version 5.5.2 7011.0206, snap 134 (latest/edge) from GitHub - ogra1/zoom-snap
Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS up to date

1 Like

Depending on your background and lighting virtual background without image recognition might work fine… for most situations it doesn’t unfortunately.

I tried the version you recommended (5.5.2 7011.0206, installed from .deb) and green screen is still required (as mentioned in the settings).

2 Likes

I fully support the request for a working virtual background on linux without greenscreen.
The current implementation is simply unusable.

Please Zoom developers implement this option for linux (Ubuntu) as well.

3 Likes

Adding my voice as another paid user requesting the same or better functionality on Linux as mac or windows. I too request for a working virtual background on linux without greenscreen.

2 Likes

I’m with ubuntu 18.04 and have a green screen.
the virtual background barley works, I almost can’t move when using it otherwise the movements breaks the background.
zoom dev, please push this forward.

3 Likes

Ubuntu 20.04, virtual background barley works and video filters not present, please improve these features! Thanks

2 Likes

I second that. Currently unusable on Linux.

2 Likes

I’m a paying user of the Linux client. For brand consistency with my colleagues this feature is essential. Another vote!

2 Likes

Another vote here. IMHO Zoom is the best video conferencing software, let’s make it even better.

2 Likes

This feature is absolutely needed. Switching back from Linux to Windows now as I am on zoom meetings 6-7 hrs a day and I can’t use with out Virtual background

2 Likes

It’s a shame that such an important feature might be that linux unfriendly! As a software developer, I can see no reason why you can implement something on MacOS but cannot do the same on linux! Can you share us the reason — maybe developers could create a solution rather quickly?

3 Likes

Voting for this improvement! Please make virtual background work on Linux! Thanks

2 Likes

This feature is absolutely needed! Another vote here!

4 Likes

I would request it too.

2 Likes

In MS Teams it works great. Hard to believe it Zoom does not pay attention on the client capabilities. Virtual background is an absolute must.

3 Likes

Just another user who would love virtual background support in Linux. I don’t want to swap over to Windows just to have more privacy and a more professional appearance!

2 Likes

Linux is the best platform for many professionals and streamers. Please make a linux native version with support for virtual background without greenscreen. If you think that gpu support is complicated because of various proprietary/open source drivers, you can at least make a version with only CPU support. I guarantee you that thousands of Linux users will pay for zoom if you provide such a functionality!

3 Likes