Is it possible to handle many one to one meeting via API?

Hello folks,

we will integrate your nice Zoom.us service in one of our customer projects. And before we start coding, i have a lot of questions and i hope your can help me to answer this.

Our use case is:
We has a conference over two days, where over 400 user takes part, in a hotel around europa. On the two conference days the users has 30 minutes meeting slot who they meet one other. After the 30 minutes they change the table an meet an other user, and so on. So we has over 140 parallel meeting on a 30 minute slot. Its like speed dating, but for business. Now we has the problem with covid-19 so we look for a digital way to handle the conference. I write some mails with your german sales team, but they don’t answer my technical questions.

To handle the conference we hav the following workflow an the question is: is it possible with your API?
All works with a cron job in the pre conference phase:

1. we has a cron job wo generate us the meetings, like tables in a conference hotel (the sales team say we need 150-160 pro license each for on parallel meeting).
  2. we will add all user automatically to the meeting and update there status to deny
  3. we store the login link and the slot (time and day) for each user with in our database

Then on the conference days we has a queue system wo administrate the meetings like this:

1. when a meeting is over (after the 30minutes) we set the meeting status to end
  2. we update the user status to deny for the current users and activate the next two users

I thing this is a way to manage the meetings automatically.

A other question is, when we get 150 pro licenses we need also 150 api token via JWT or is there a main account who manage the 150 pro sub accounts?

I hope your understand me and my questions :smiley:

Thanks

Rico

Which App Type (OAuth / Chatbot / JWT / Webhook)?
JWT

Hey @rico.schulz, thanks for posting and using Zoom!

This is totally possible. However if your meetings don’t last more then 40 minutes you can use free basic accounts.

Since all the users / licenses would be apart of one Zoom account, you will only need 1 JWT App. You can only have 1 JWT App per Main Zoom account anyway. :slight_smile:

That being said, have you seen the breakout rooms feature which allows 1 main meeting to have smaller speed dating groups without all this complication?

Let me know if that helps!

Thanks,
Tommy

1 Like

Hi @tommy thank you for the great answers.

This is totally possible. However if your meetings don’t last more then 40 minutes you can use free basic accounts.

Thanks but we will pay for the nice service :wink:. And we nee the full API support i think.

Currently i implemented a dummy app who work like this:

1. i use a account as desk and create a meeting per conference day
  2. i add all user wo has a meeting on this desk
  3. i active all users to get the join_url
  4. i store the join_url in our database to the slot (it has the information about the desk, the users who meet, and the time)
  5. on the meeting day i make the join url visible if there time is came
  6. two minutes before the meeting ends, i set with an background process the current user to deny
  7. with an background process i update the meeting to end that all users will removed
  8. i make the next join_url for the users visible in our application

It works great with you API for one desk (meeting). But for the real conference we need to scaled it up this process to the 150 accounts (desks). That’s a lot of API calls.

That being said, have you seen the breakout rooms feature which allows 1 main meeting to have smaller speed dating groups without all this complication?

The breakout room function looks nice, but:

• is it possible to handle over 400 user with it?
  • can we manage all the functions (time limit, move user into the separate meetings, …) with the API?
  • how many API-calls we can do per minute?
  • can we add the user with the “POST /meetings/{meetingId}/registrants” endpoint?
  • which kind of license we need?

EDIT: oh i found the information:

• Up to 50 breakout rooms can be created
  • Max 200 total participants across all breakout rooms (requires Large Meeting 200 add-on)
    In the main time we need around 150 rooms at the same time and we will have more than 400 participants.

I hope you understand me, my english isn’t the best xD

PS: i thing the german sales team need a better product training for customer like us.

Hey @rico.schulz,

We can handle the load. :slight_smile:

You can apply for an API partner plan here: isv@zoom.us

Okay true, the breakout rooms will not work for your use case.

Thanks,
Tommy