Maximum rate of calls to actionMeetingCmd

Hello

We are automating various actioning using the SDK (on mac) and I’ve noticed that if we send commands to the zoom side (via actionMeetingWithCmd:) too rapidly then some of the actions are ignored by zoom.

Is there a limit to how quickly this is meant to function, or should I just do some trial and error?

Thanks

Richard

To add… I am getting the error 8 - ZoomSDKError_TooFrequentCall - when these fail, so it is definitely a rate issue, if there is a max rate that would be useful to know so I can do some limiting to that

Thanks

Richard

Hi @richard1, thanks for the post.

Your diagnosis of the problem here is absolutely correct. Some pieces of SDK functionality are rate limited. Unfortunately, we do not have plans to make the SDK rate limits publicly available, so approaching this through trial and error as you mentioned is going to be your best bet.

Can you please provide some information about your use case? If there is a common use case that exceeds our rate limits most of the time, it could be something we may reconsider in the future.

Thanks!

Hi Jon, thanks for your reply - and that’s understood.

Can you advise whether we run any risks of being blocked for more than a few seconds if we make a large number of calls from our app? If multiple users (all using our SDK key) make calls at the same time would that cause us any issues?

Our use case is that we have created a zoom client which can be controlled via OSC for use mainly in theatre/live performance. At times users need to be able to turn on/off video/audio for a large number of users at the same time (but usually not all, meaning that the standard muteAll and unMuteAll commands won’t suffice)

for now I will impliment a queue with some flow control and retrying - but let me know if you have any advice!

Thanks

Hi @richard1,

Can you advise whether we run any risks of being blocked for more than a few seconds if we make a large number of calls from our app?

I can’t say for certain, but I have not heard of this happening to anyone in the past. Basically, the rate limits should never be an issue for “normal” usage, but your use case of muting/unmuting en masse is a bit of a grey area. It is a valid use case that is not exploitative, but at the same time it is utilizing an action many times that is normally carried out 1:1 relative to user interactions.

If multiple users (all using our SDK key) make calls at the same time would that cause us any issues?

This is entirely dependent on what the particular call you’re using is. Most of the SDK’s calls are going to be user-specific, so I would assume that this would not be an issue in most cases. I can’t guarantee that this will never be an issue though.

for now I will impliment a queue with some flow control and retrying - but let me know if you have any advice!

That sounds like a solid approach to me! One recommendation I would have is to implement a backoff timer between requests. This will help in instances where an issue is present that is not specific to one user/SDK instance.

Thanks!

Brill thanks - will add in a back off!

Always happy to help!