My website is a marketplace. Can I use Zoom to host video chats between 2 users?

Description
Our website is a marketplace. I want the buyer and seller to be able to schedule a meeting between them. I want to generate an organiser link for the seller, and an attendee link for the buyer.
I want them to be able to do the meeting on the pre-agreed time and date over Zoom.

It is not necessary that Zoom is embedded in the website… but I want to control the issue of the invitations.

Is this possible? How many licenses do I need?

Lets say, I have 1000 sellers… but only 10 meetings are on at a time… then do I need 1000 licenses or 10?

Can this be done? Obviously economics do not work if I need 1000, but may work if I need only 10. I have been reading all over the place… but i cannot find an answer… I am sure its there somewhere. Look forward to your help.

The meetings can be 1 on 1 or 1 on many.

Thanks

1 Like

Hey @gk1,

What you are describing is similar to the Zoom Session app.

Basically the buyer and seller connect their own Zoom account to your marketplace via OAuth, and then in your marketplace you can create meetings on the seller / buyers behalf. That way you do not have to manage creating any Zoom accounts.

Thanks,
Tommy

Thank you for your suggestion. But that would mean that if we have 10,000 sellers, each seller would need to have his own paid account assuming he wants to host a session for more than 40 minutes.
Whereas it is possible that each seller may only get 1 booking a month from us… so it would not make sense to buy a license just for 1 meeting. It is possible that we will have no more than 5-6 meetings running at any point of time.
Is it not possible to buy say 9 licenses, and schedule meetings using that… making sure that no more than 9 meetings are running at any point of time.
We would need a method to start and stop meetings using API to make sure that meetings do not overlap.
Is something like this possible on Zoom?

Hey @gk1,

Gotcha, please see the teacher / student model here which will work in a marketplace model as well:

Thanks,
Tommy

Thank you for your reply. However, if we create free users for them… then will these meetings not be subject to the 40 minutes deadline?
I was hoping that I can purchase 9 licenses, and therefore create upto 9 concurrent “lesson” meetings, and not be restricted by the 40 minute deadline.
When I look at the API docs… it seems to say that it is possible. One place says that the number of concurrent meetings depends on the number of licenses you have.
But, I would love to see a proper cookbook or confirmation on the same before I invest a lot of money in buying these licenses and then discover that this use case is not supported

Hey @gk1,

Free users can only have meetings for up to 40 minutes.

You can do that! :slight_smile:

For each concurrent meeting, you have to have a seperate user.

Example:

User A hosts meeting at 10am
User B hosts meeting at 10am
User C hosts meeting at 10am

Does that make sense?

Thanks,
Tommy

Hello, Thank you for your help on this. I have now gone and purchased 9 licenses. But at least through the web portal when I try and host 2 concurrent meetings system is telling me that I need to end earlier call. I thought that when I purchase more licenses I can host concurrent calls.

Is it that I have to create a new user under each license, and then host a call under each user?

How will it work for the website?

I was hoping that I will buy 9 licenses, and then can host 9 concurrent calls.

However… if I am supposed to create a user… then I will also need to manage which call is scheduled for what user. That will add a whole lot of complexity to the entire call hosting. Is it not possible to have 9 users on one account only… so that the same user can host 9 calls all together?

Furthermore, and most importantly, our website is developed on PHP. Can you please advise if there is any SDK for PHP?

Secondly, can you please advise the process flow for making this work.

For instance:
To schedule a meeting, do we need to create a user first? Or can we simply create a meeting under our account.

We would need to send the meeting details to our clients to login go the call.

How can we make one of the users the host and the other the guests?

Any way to end the call at some point of time?

I want to do this using API… I would have hoped that this is quite simple… but I have not been able to find a clear way to do this.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks

In case we need to assign each meeting to a user before creating it, then one way we could get it to work is as follows, I suspect.

1. We create 9 static users in our account to correspond to the 9 licenses that we have
  2. Lets say we get a meeting for 10 AM on 31 May for client 1, then we can assign it to User 1. If User 1 is busy, then we assign to user 2, if user 2 is busy at the time, we assign to user 3… and so on, till we reach user 9. If User 9 is also busy then we get an alert that we are running low on licenses.
  3. This above process continues for each meeting- we first assign to the 1st user, and then so on…

This is quite a complicated method of doing it… is there no easier way to schedule meetings?

Hey @gk1,

Each seperate host would need to host the respective concurrent meeting. You can create meetings for your 9 users via the Create Meeting API.

Example:

User A hosts meeting at 10am
User B hosts meeting at 10am
User C hosts meeting at 10am

You can end the Meetings by calling the Update Meeting Status endpoint.

Thanks,
Tommy