NDI Support

Is anyone working on NDI support?  With Skype releasing this to the Windows Insiders program this week, seems like Zoom is lagging behind.

17 Likes

I agree 100%. NDI ingest in ZOOM from an external source and NDI out of guests feeds would be very useful.

7 Likes

I also need NDI support via Zoom. I’m using Skype until it’s available in Zoom, but am not thrilled about it. I’ll come back to Zoom in a heartbeat once it’s available. 

4 Likes

also stating that myself and others need NDI support

4 Likes

Is there any update to this? NDI’s official website states that NDI Virtual Input supports Zoom (which I can confirm it does now), however we also use NDI Studio Monitor to cast video streams across a local network. I’ve tried using NDI Studio Monitor with Zoom and it does not detect our guests’ video stream, unlike Skype which NDI Studio Monitor does pick up.

Is only NDI Virtual Input supported by Zoom and not NDI Studio Monitor? Is NDI Studio Monitor/Zoom support in development? If not, where can we advocate for this?

4 Likes

Hello everyone,

Thanks for the post and reply. May I ask is this for the Zoom Windows Client or for the Zoom Windows SDK?

If it is for the Zoom Windows Client, I wish I could help but I do not have the visibilities regarding the issues with the Zoom Windows Client. Please contact our Zoom support at https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201362003 and one of our experts would be able to help you.

Thanks!

2 Likes

I reached out to Zoom Support over a year ago and was told it wasn’t on their roadmap. No other details. Maybe if more of us open tickets, we can get this bubbled up to the top.

2 Likes

Hi Eric_Paul,

Thanks for the reply. I really wish I could help but I do not have any visibilities regarding the feature requests or issues related to our Zoom client since it is out of the scope of SDK. Please contact our Zoom support at https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201362003 if you have any feature requests.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Unless I’m mistaken, the request here is to have Zoom output individual caller video/audio as an NDI feed, so other apps such as OBS can ingest each caller as a a video source – does that sound right?

If I understand Zoom’s architecture properly, I believe by the time the image gets to the end-point (e.g. Windows desktop client), the individual videos are not being sent but rather a composite picture being created on a server somewhere. If that’s the case, not sure how individual participant streams could effectively be brought out as NDI signals. Except possibly in their smaller cropped view as virtual/cropped images from the single larger one?

Skype, in contrast, I believe sends full-on picture/audio to each client so the NDI implementation was more straightforward – with the downside being that as caller volume increases, so too does bandwidth and processing requirements at the client-side.

5 Likes

@candlelightvideo yes, you summed up what I had requested.

I don’t know enough about Zoom’s architecture to comment on your point in the second paragraph. I know Zoom sales told me at one point that NDI was on their roadmap, but that was almost 2 years ago.

3 Likes

Hey @Eric_Paul, @candlelightvideo,

We do already have a feature requests in our backlog for this, with lots of interest from customers and developers! (ZOOM-19500)

Please reach out to the Zoom sales team if you are would like to share your interest. :slight_smile:

We will be working on the NDI support feature/s after our 90 day plan.

Thanks,
Tommy

9 Likes

This would be great! This works in Skype, but the video in skype tends to be lower quality for me so I prefer Zoom. Bump for the feature request. The form you link to for sales just seems to be an inquiry form, would that really help get a feature implemented?

6 Likes

Hey @ryanfreng,

Currently this feature can be requested on a customer by customer basis to our sales team.

Thanks,
Tommy

3 Likes

I have had to read this a few times and I’m still not sure what you are saying. Ask for this feature to be created, OR it’s already created and just needs to be turned on per customer?

5 Likes

Hello @tommy I would like to ask for clarification as well. Is the NDI integration already available, but jsut have to be explicitly requested to be activated per user or per customer?

5 Likes

I did just ‘request’ this from the sales contact form. I got back a generic ‘Thank you for your interest in Zoom! Please answer these generic questions to see if we’d be a good fit for you.’

I started off my contact with ‘I’m already a zoom customer but this forum staff told me to contact sales for this request.’

A+ Service!

I followed up and will report back what they say… It seems like this should be easy for someone to answer.

5 Likes

I requested this feature for my account… hopefully I can get access soon! Thank you for posting this!

5 Likes

Hi, I think it would be mandatory for zoom to have NDI support as Skype has it enabled the point is that skyp have a lower quality.

Do we need to ask this feature to be enabled, or its just not a thing right now?

4 Likes

Tommy, please explain your response, as it appears spurious.

Or better, tell us that NDI integration is something that will be imminently rolled out!

3 Likes

NDI in Zoom would be a game changer for the way we do things too. Currently having to use Skype but we much prefer Zoom. Also, MS Teams just announced support for NDI is imminent so hopefully that has pushed this feature up the priority list.

3 Likes