Prevent Zoom app from taking over computer's focus

Can’t Zoom Developers add a configuration option to not allow Zoom to grab my focus on Mac OS X???

4 Likes

Any response from Zoom developers ?

5 Likes

I’m assuming no one is monitoring this/doesn’t have any insight here? This “feature” is pretty bad. Insight into turning it off would be great.

5 Likes

We need this feature now. This unbarable.

4 Likes

Unbearable indeed. Are Zoom developers never multitasking (PC for “zoning out”) while video-conferencing?

Here are two ways to make our voices heard. Let’s bombard them!

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=360000996591

3 Likes

One more link to send them feedback:

2 Likes

+1 for preventing Zoom from taking over window focus. Extremely frustrating.

3 Likes

We are also being plagued by this. Windows systems

3 Likes

Also adding to this complaint - very frustrating. Using Windows 10. Click link to launch a meeting to join/start, then go back to typing my email or message, and Zoom keeps grabbing focus during its launch process, even click back to the message after it first grabs focus, and it does it again straight away on the next stage.

3 Likes

Same issue here. I’m on Mac OS. Every screen share by others in the meeting causes Zoom to steal the focus. It’s super annoying. Please fix this.

2 Likes

Wow. We have 90 people entering and everyone takes my cursor focus away - it happened three times as I typed into this box. Please help fix this issue

3 Likes

This is so annoying. Anytime a meeting launces, zoom takes focus, a meeting connects, zoom takes focus, somebody shares, zoom takes focus, stop sharing, zoom takes focus, get put in a brakout, zoom takes focus, pulled from a breakout, zoom takes focus.

I take notes during meetings and so frustrating that I type away and noting happens because zoom takes focus.

3 Likes

This feature is extremely frustraing.

I just had Zoom basically crash my computer because of this feature: The Zoom app apparently couldn’t detect my Microphone, and the pop-up that says “Couldn’t detect microphone” steals focus, and the pop-up kept repeating over and over, so I couldn’t even click out of it to get to a terminal or anything to kill the Zoom process. Zoom was literally preventing me from using my PC because I couldn’t escape this repeating error message that stole focus every few milliseconds.

Applications SHOULD NEVER STEAL FOCUS, EVER.

3 Likes

When using this in dual screen mode it gets even worse.

Our computer’s 2nd monitor uses and HDMI replicator to display content on additional screens for a physical audience. On occasion we would like to share Zoom content on this screen. So we run the 2nd Zoom screen minimised, and maximise via the task bar so as to prevent the local audience seeing mouse movements etc on the monitors.

However Zoom unhelpfully restores this window every time someone enters the waiting room. While I can minimise this screen every time, it automatically restores it again when someone joins the meeting from the meeting room. All this interaction is replicated to the monitors that the physical audience sees and looks so unprofessional.

Support advised me to raise as a feature request, but to my mind getting the software not to steal focus or control windows without it being asked should not be an optional feature. Its current, deliberately programmed behaviour should not take place unless granted permission by end users. It’s not at all helpful having it behave as it does now, especially as there is no over-ride.

It would also be nice to have some response from Zoom would it not?

3 Likes

Just another +1 for this. Zoom Phone taking focus for every single call is really making it hard for our front line customer service reps to type any emails.

3 Likes

Had the same issue as well but found that it is not Zoom that’s causing the problem in our setup which is identical to yours. It’s multiple devices signed into Zoom web or app using the same Zoom account / set of credentials (email and password) that caused the issue, which makes sense.

Provided your setup has followed official setup guidelines (no third party apps installed or workarounds attempted to fix the issue - which some have tried…) and has:
Windows OS

• Extended displays

Zoom app
Default settings used across all setting categories, except for the following:
General, set the following:

• Use dual monitors
  • Always show meeting controls

Share Screen, set the following:

• Window size when screen sharing: can be any, but suggest ‘Maximize window’ if issue persists in ‘Fullscreen mode’

Highly recommend testing this theory by force signing out all devices using your KH Zoom account. It’s easy to do. Go to Sign In - Zoom, log in with the KH Zoom account. Under the Sign In options down the page, you’ll see ‘Sign me out on all devices’. Click that and go through that process (couple of dialog boxes pop up, just click Ok and continue).

At your next event then, ensure that whoever’s on AV sets up the Zoom meeting (as instructed), and that no one else uses the KH Zoom account.

If you have a need for multiple users of the KH Zoom account, buy licenses and add new users, don’t share the account / credentials: Managing users – Zoom Support

1 Like

Have the same setup using mostly default Zoom settings with a few exceptions. After some trial and error, we found the problem was with multiple devices logged in to the Zoom app using the same login/credentials. Can’t say if certain device types or number of devices makes any difference.

Solution for us: we forcefully signed out all devices (can be done by logging in to the Zoom account at zoom.us and look for the sign out all devices option under Profile → Sign In), added users to the Zoom account as necessary, and ensured that when conducting the Zoom meetings, only the person/host designated to start and manage the meeting is permitted to use the Zoom account owner’s credentials.

bump.

This behaviour shouldn’t be a thing, and where it is it should be configurable.

1 Like

One of the worst anti-features of Zoom. Please fix this dark pattern.

1 Like

One of a hundred horrible UI experiences in zoom. Video is great. Good job. Time to find and hire someone who cares about good UX.

1 Like