[Question] Experiencing Audio issues from May 8th

Description

From May 8 2021, our users are experiencing audio degradation on our application.
We are using the latest Web SDK version (1.9.1), no new release has been done on our side.
Our application is one to one online meeting. 1 host, 1 non host participant.

Encountered problems by users can be one or more from the following list:

• The host suddenly stop to hear the non host participant after more or less 30 minutes in the meeting. In most cases it’s the host who cannot hear anymore the other participant but time to time the opposite also happens.
  • The host suddenly stop to hear the other participant when starting to do screen sharing.
  • Audio (and video) quality has been degraded compared to few days before May 8th.

This problem started to be reported from May 8 and still continue (at least yesterday)

We are operating in Japan, and you did a maintenance on your Japan Data Center on May 8 2021 5AM (JST)

So my question is : can the deterioration observed here be caused by your maintenance ? (it’s a real question, no offence here :slight_smile: )

By the way, we reported to you Service degradation on the Tokyo data center more than a month ago and it seems not being fixed yet. (not enough capacity on this data center at business hours, thus redirecting our meeting to Singapore (closest & fastest gateway to reply from Japan) and deteriorating audio/video due to network latency)

We would like to know more about what you’ve done on last weekend maintenance on the Tokyo DC, just to have more information and know whether it could be the cause.

Thank you for your cooperation.

That being said,

After investigations, we also found that for all host users reporting this issue, they were accessing the application with the following hardware:

• Chrome OS (latest stable version, Platform version: 13816.64.0)
  • Chrome version (latest stable version for Chrome OS: 90.0.4430.100)

The hardware of the host users is monitored by our services, and their Chrome browser (released on May 4th) started to be updated to that version from May 4th for a few of them, and massively on May 8th.

We are investigating this as well as a potential cause.

Do you have any feedback or tests run on this OS and chrome version with the Web SDK ?

We have several Zoom meeting ids wherein the users faced this problem in case you need.

Hey @nvivot,

Thank you for reaching out to the Zoom Developer Forum. I’m sorry to hear that you saw issues with your meetings on May 8th. I’m happy to help get to the bottom of the issue!

I think both the potential causes that you found are equally likely to be the cause here. To answer your question, the maintenance may be a factor.

I’ll reach out to our engineering team to see if they are able to confirm. Please send an email to developersupport@zoom.us with a link to this thread. In that email, please include the meeting IDs where you saw this issue and, if possible, a participant id/email of a user that saw this issue.

Do you have a forum topic or a ticket for this? If so, please forward that to me. Otherwise, you can send in another email to developersupport@zoom.us and I’ll follow up with you separately in regard to the service degradation that you’re seeing.

Thanks,
Max

Hi @MaxM

Thank you for your answer. Ticket has been opened here.

Let’s follow up in the ticket and close this discussion.

Thanks for creating a ticket, sounds like a good plan. I’ll close this topic and follow up with you there after investigating further.

Max