Recommendations for API usage - scheduling events for other users

I’m looking for validation that my Marketplace app is using the correct methodology to handle the use case. We’d like to use ZOOM to schedule 10 minute videos for two people, neither of whom are a part of our company (and right not already have a ZOOM account). Currently I’ve got everything working by using a dummy user within my account. (i.e. host001@ourdomain.com) when we schedule a meeting via JWT. We send the start_url to our “host” user and the join_url to the “guest” user, and we get the Webhooks back to keep track of the status of the meeting. We also end the meeting after 10 minutes.

The main question is how we could better handle this to get around the 100 daily request limit per users on the /users/{userId}/meetings endpoint. Would we want to create a unique user for each event (i.e. 10302303@ourdomain.com)? Would we need to use the managed domain feature here so that we don’t send a validation email to each new ad hoc user when we use the /users endpoint?

Also, what type of account would we need? I know that we would want a Business account to take advantage of the managed domain feature, but how many “hosts” would we actually need? Would each ad hoc user count as a “host”? I could also just use the free tier and create a bunch of ad-hoc users, but make sure on my end that they don’t exceed 100 requests in a day, but I’d prefer to do this PROPERLY!

Thanks

Hey @m11,

Have you considered using OAuth, which allows your users to connect their own Zoom accounts, and have you schedule meetings on their behalf? That way you won’t hit the 100 meetings per user per day rate limit, and you won’t have to manage any the creation of user accounts.

Thanks,
Tommy

I did test that out, but it is a few extra steps that I don’t want to send them through for no real benefit on their end.

Matt Greco | 678 773 1380

Hey @m11,

Gotcha.

You’d want to have the appropriate amount of users to handle the scheduling to not meet the 100 meetings per day per user limit.

A business account and then any number of hosts you need to host any meetings at the same time. You could do the free ad hoc user approach if your meetings stayed under 40 minutes.

In my opinion the best way to do this would be OAuth. It would make the user management much simpler on your end.

Thanks,
Tommy

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.