Reconnecting to existing zoom meeting

Description
Reconnecting to ongoing zoom meeting

Error
On an unstable network (Wifi/3G/4G), sometimes zoom automatically rejoin the same meeting (when n/w is out for around 7 to 8 seconds) and sometimes reconnect in the same meeting while showing meeting disconnected message in the background (when n/w resumed within 2-3 seconds)

Which Web Client SDK version?

**To Reproduce(If applicable)
Join a zoom meeting on a patchy/unstable network

We would like to know how zoom is handling n/w outage i.e. in what conditions user will be reconnected without any sdk/page refresh or without rejoin?
And in what conditions user will be rejoin and page/sdk will be refreshed?

Hi @deepali.necti,

Please could you try using the latest SDK version (1.9.1) and let us know if you still experience these issues? I’m able to simulate a network drop and reconnect without any issues.

Thanks,
Alex

1 Like

Hi Alex,

Sure, we have a plan to upgrade to 1.9.1 in the coming days but not as of now.
We are trying to know how long zoom sdk wait for the network to come back before kicking off from the meeting and rejoining?
can we quantify it? and say that if the network is out for more than x seconds, zoom will ask to rejoin else will reconnect automatically?

Many Thanks !

Hey @deepali.necti,

My understanding is that the Zoom backend will attempt to reconnect the socket to the meeting for 5 minutes after which it will remove you from the meeting and require that you rejoin.

I hope that helps!

Thanks,
Max

Hi Max,

Is it 5 minutes or 5 seconds? 5 minutes seems too high and we observed that it happened in 5-10 seconds

Hey @deepali.necti,

It’s 5 minutes and you can actually confirm this behavior on your end with the following steps:

1. Start a meeting with the Web SDK
  2. Close the browser tab (don’t click end meeting)
  3. Navigate to the Dashboard in your Zoom Web Portal
  4. Observe that the meeting is still running
  5. Wait about 5 minutes
  6. Observe the meeting is now marked as ended

This happens because when you don’t click the end button, the Web SDK back-end continually attempts to re-establish a connection with the socket that was created.

It’s also worth mentioning that we have recently learned from our engineering team that mobile browsers are not officially supported by the Web SDK. We are working to update our documentation around this.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Max

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.