Recording without Permissions Prompt

Description
I’m building a Zoom bot that records raw audio from a meeting. I am able to request recording control for the meeting after I join, and I’m also aware that if the Bot creates the meeting, or the bot is authorized as a meeting host, I can start recording without the prompt.

Are there other methods to do this? I noticed that when fireflies.ai joins a meeting, no permissions are requested and no prompt about recording takes place.

Which Windows Meeting SDK version?
v5.14.5.15340

Device (please complete the following information):

1 Like

here are the rules if and when to prompts can disabled

• For Basic, Pro, Business, and Free Trial accounts with less than 100 licenses, the recording consent disclaimer is enabled for all users on a Zoom client by default and can’t be disabled or customized, but voice prompts (audio notifications) can be disabled. For participants that join by phone, you have the option to require participants to press 1 to consent to being recorded and enable multiple audio notifications in which users will hear a notification each time the recording is started, paused, resumed from being paused, or stopped.
  • For Enterprise, API, Education, or Business accounts with 100+ licenses, account owners and admins can disable the disclaimer for internal participants and customize the recording consent disclaimer. The recording consent disclaimer is required for all guest participants.

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/360000486746-Modifying-recording-notification-prompts

I noticed that when fireflies.ai joins a meeting, no permissions are requested and no prompt about recording takes place.

if this is true for guests and you are using this in the EU - you are in big trouble

I was asking how to suppress the prompt in code (Windows SDK) when the bot joins.

Description
I’m building a Zoom bot that records raw audio from a meeting. I am able to request recording control for the meeting after I join, and I’m also aware that if the Bot creates the meeting, or the bot is authorized as a meeting host, I can start recording without the prompt.

Only the host who is initiates the recording the meeting will not have the prompt, everyone else in the meeting will be prompted about the meeting being recorded.

Are there other methods to do this? I noticed that when fireflies.ai joins a meeting, no permissions are requested and no prompt about recording takes place.

I’m not sure what you mean by this. Recording which has been done via the Zoom Meeting Client and Zoom Meeting SDK will have a prompt to users that “this meeting is being recorded”.

There is a possibility what you are describe refers to fireflies.ai having access to OAuth permissions on the customers account, and as such is given host / recording permission for user’s meeting. In that case, it does not need to prompt for host / recording permission. But at the time of recording, users in meeting will still be notified via a “this meeting is being recorded” prompt. They are 2 different types of prompt

@tyler, the reason Fireflies doesn’t have a recording prompt is because they are not using the latest Zoom Windows SDK to create the bot. They are having the bot join via automation through the web.

Just as @chunsiong.zoom said, there is no way to suppress the prompt with the official API, it will always pop up a recording consent notification.

If you don’t want to deal with the permissioning and running these meeting bots yourself, you can check out Recall.ai. It’s a simple 3rd party API that lets you use meeting bots to get raw audio/video from meetings without you needing to spend months to build, scale and maintain these bots.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Thanks! Just to clarify when you say “automation through the web”, you mean that they are using the browser SDK?

@tyler, The browser SDK is one method and may be what Fireflies is doing. What is certain is that they are not using the official raw data functionality.

Products which record without showing this prompt are typically capturing the data through 1 of 4 different methods. (Let me know if it would be relevant for me to share)

there is a reason why there is no way to prevent the note with the official api- it’s agains the law (in EU) to do it

That is what I assumed. Not sure how fireflies is managing it, but we can live with the prompt as is.

Thanks! This can be closed.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.