Resolution on OTT Android Unit

Description
Trying to use Zoom Client SDK on Android OTT TV unit. It has AmLogic System on a Chip, which uses hardware acceleration for webrtc calls. We cannot get the Zoom SDK to output more than 640x360 p resolution for video. Using the webrtc library, we can get 1080 p. We notice the cpu is at higher usage level with Zoom than webrtc, so our guess is that Zoom isn’t using the hardware acceleration. How can we get higher resolution?

Which Mobile Client SDK version?

To Reproduce(If applicable)
Steps to reproduce the behavior:
We start a zoom conference between 2 of these OTT units. Then we join with normal web Zoom client on PC/Mac and check ‘statistics’. I am not sure why there is only one receive column of statistics, but it may be cycling through the two received streams. In any case, we do not see better than 360 p resolution.

OTT Unit (please complete the following information):

• Device: AMLOGIC Sx905

Additional context
We try this with all clients on same network, and all show good connectivity, high throughput.
Have used this code to try to get at least 720:
MeetingSettingsHelper meetingSettingsHelper = zoomSDK.getMeetingSettingsHelper( );
meetingSettingsHelper.enable720p( true );

Hi @jerry_onscreen, thanks for the post.

When it comes to receiving 720p or 1080p video through the SDK, there are a few factors in play. Since you are able to receive 1080p through WebRTC, I am going to assume that your network is not a limiting factor.

The next step to take would be to ensure that the Zoom account you are using is capable of HD. For that, please check out the group HD support article.

One other consideration which does not appear to apply to your use case is that the number of concurrent HD streams is going to be limited. The limitations will vary based on whether you are using a custom UI or the default UI provided by the SDK. Can you please clarify around which option you are using in your app?

Thanks!

Hi John,
We’re using the default UI provided by the SDK. You can see in the screenshot the stats of a conference with only 2 participants. 640x360 being sent by both ends.

It appears the sdk logs are encrypted, would they give any clarity as to the decision process and where its being derailed?

Hi @jerry_onscreen,

Are you able to receive 720p with the Zoom client? If you cannot, it will not be possible for the SDK to receive HD video either.

It appears the sdk logs are encrypted, would they give any clarity as to the decision process and where its being derailed?

The logs can potentially tell us some information, but I do not believe we are yet at a point where logs will be necessary. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks!

Hi @jon.lieblich ,
Maybe its zoom, not me!
I tried a MacBook Pro running Zoom app to an iPad Pro running Zoom App and its still only 360p:

Am I missing something? Is there a restriction on these? The accounts are free accounts I use for testing, My paid one gave me same results.
Both devices were on my 2.4Ghz wifi network, so i didn’t get blistering connection…more like 50Mbps
https://www.speedtest.net/my-result/d/326211103

cpu wasn’t dying…13% on macbook.

Jerry

Hi @jerry_onscreen,

It definitely sounds like HD is not enabled on your account. Earlier in this thread, I linked to a support article outlining requirements for enabling HD. Please check that page out and submit a ticket to general support on that same page if you are having any issues. If you have any additional questions with getting this working in the SDK, let me know. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.