Set Host Name Using Start_URL

Description
Hi, I have a business account and I am trying to set the hosts name with the start_url. It seems like it is possible to do this by passing certain parameters into the start_url according to this thread and this thread, but I don’t understand how to do it.

When trying the approach in this thread:

https://zoom.us/wc/{{ MEETING_ID }}/join?un=Y3VzdG9tIG5hbWU=&prefer=1&zak={{ TOKEN_FROM_START_URL }}

I am asked to enter my name (which is great), but then I am asked to enter the meeting passcode (which I was hoping the zak token would take care of).

Ideally, I am trying to find a way for hosts who click the start_url to have their name set before they start the meeting, instead of having to rename themselves in the meeting.

Thanks!

Which App Type (OAuth / Chatbot / JWT / Webhook)?
JWT

Which Endpoint/s?
Create a meeting

Hey @cedricgidget,

Have you tried using the start_url for this? If clicked, it will start the meeting as the host with their name. :slight_smile:

Thanks,
Tommy

Hi Tommy,

Thank you for the help. Sorry if I didn’t explain well, we have guest users that are not on the account owner using the start_url to be a host. If they use the start_url, it seems like the name of the account owner will show and not theirs (even if they have a Zoom account).

While they can rename themselves after joining, I was wondering if it is possible to have their Zoom name display or somehow pass their name into the parameters to have their name display and not the name of the account owner.

Hi @cedricgidget,

Thanks for clarifying. Since the start_url is intended for a given host, this would be expected. However, have you considered adding these users who you wish to start the meeting as alternative hosts? If someone is marked as an alternative host and joins with the “join_url”, they’ll be able to start the meeting this way. If you require registration, those join_urls can be unique and reflect their name as well.

Let me know if this is helpful,
Will

Hi Will,

Thank you for this, I did look into Alternative hosts, but it seems like only a licensed user on the account can be designated as one. The hosts will be guest users (not part of our account), similar to what this user here is trying to achieve with coaches.

When searching around, it seems like there some potential options, such as this thread and this thread, but I am not sure. The solution recommended for the the coaches thread, however, does not seem like it will solve my problem (even though it seems like a similar use case) as it seems like the host name would have to be permanently updated using the Update User endpoint. .

Hi @cedricgidget,

That’s true—the alternative host will need to be under your account in order for that to work.

For users who aren’t under your account, there’s not an out-of-the-box solution for designating the host name via the start URL. However, I can definitely appreciate the use case (as others have pointed out in those other threads as well). If you’re so inclined, you might consider posting this as a feature request as well (#feature-requests)

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.