Sort gallery view video feeds in the same order for all users

i can see two different potential features:

1. show every participant the same order in gallery view
  2. add your zoom screen in the screen share section

thanks

1 Like

Just to be clear, this thread is about “show every participant the same order in gallery view”.

“Add your zoom screen in the screen share section” should be in a different thread of people want it.

This would super helpful for several of the meeting that I run.

1 Like

I am also eager for this feature. I teach theatre classes, and the ability to interact across squares is essential.

Bump!

Another theatre teacher who would profoundly benefit from this feature.

The most ideal version would be a host view grid mode where the host can easily drag and drop other users’ feeds, and everyone in the room views the same room layout as the host whole the mode is enabled.

1 Like

Yes! The lack of shared orientation within any gallery “space” is one of the most difficult aspects of zoom as it currently functions in many meetings where the flow of participation is vital.

I found this after searching for ways for me to organise people on screen in upcoming teaching. This would be incredibly helpful to have.

I also agree this is very useful for many use-cases in facilitation. In a real physical room, you can have people go around in order and do any number of things. Having a digital-analog would help as well for icebreaking, games, improv, etc.

Any sense @michael.zoom any update on where this is in the release queue/roadmap? I am sure you all are busy.

What is the status of Sorting Participants in Gallery view? Is alphabetical an option? With remote and in-person students this fall, we will have multiple cameras setup in the room. It would be helpful to add a prefix to faculty cameras so that students can easily find and pin a specific view (blackboard, back of room, instructor pc). Without a sorting feature, they get mixed in with other participants. Thank you.

1 Like

Just wanted to add my voice to this. It would be profoundly helpful to my work as a Speech Language Pathologist when working with small groups, and would ensure that our practice stays with Zoom over other competitors. Thanks!

1 Like

I agree. Being able to order participants in a Zoom meeting would be very helpful. It gets confusing in meetings sometimes. For example, when asking participants to introduce themselves or share their ideas, you can’t just ask everyone to go after the person to their right. You have to literally call on everyone in turn because no one has the participants in the same order while viewing them in gallery mode. Please consider moving this up the priority list for Zoom developers. Thanks.

Yes please, this enable two or more co-hosts to see the same screen positions and coordinate accordingly with the host speaker.

I tried that, too! Spent a good five minutes on it, with students all making suggestions on how to make it work. No such luck.

After much fiddling around, I found a band-aid solution that works for me. I run OBS-studio and make it display my zoom gallery view. Then I share that OBS window. There is a slight lag for me, as you might imagine, but it seems to suffice for my purposes.

1 Like

I’m a corporate trainer and found this thread because I was trying to see if this was possible. I was hoping to use a consistent gallery view to facilitate an ice-breaker between the participants.

@michael.zoom So far we’ve got 35 people interested in this feature. It’d be great to have an update, especially as we haven’t heard from you since April and it doesn’t seem to be on the Zoom Developer Roadmap.

We’d love to know if this or something like it might be coming to a version of Zoom someday. I personally would also be curious to know what it is that makes this complex—it seems like sending video streams is much more complex than sending a little metadata about the streams’ order.

Thanks!

1 Like

I found the way to do it with external video program (ecamm OBS or similar). I can also have me on speaker view together (in split screen) with any participant I choose, so everyone can see both of us debating or interacting in front of the rest of the meeting.

I would also love this! As a teacher it would be so helpful!

I’m a teacher and would love this feature as a distance learning “seating chart.” It’s frustrating when a kid is in the 3rd row 2 over and then gets kicked off the internet and everyone gets moved around.

2 Likes

It would be a total game-changer! Now the windows are a mess - everyone sees it differently and when anyone leaves, everything changes. Come on, Zoom magicians! We believe in you!

1 Like