Sort gallery view video feeds in the same order for all users

yes please do this we have had multiple needs to be able to do this

One of my drama students had a brilliant idea today and it worked pretty well for a game to learn stage directions. I shared my screen so the whole class saw my gallery view. As long as they ignored their own (minimize, moved aside, etc), it worked pretty well for our Simon Says- style activity. (High 5 the person to your left; wave to the person above you; point to the person downstage right; look at the person center stage, etc.) While an imbedded program option would be better, it worked in a pinch. We always seem to figure it out. Must be our knack for improvisation. “All the world’s a stage!” Tomorrow they are to appear as famous portraits for a “gallery exhibit” and next week they are to create their space (via virtual backgrounds or actual set decorating) to appear as if they are in a high rise apartment building. I have no idea how either will work :woman_shrugging::crossed_fingers:

1 Like

I think that the possibilities for using this feature are immense. I work for a university that is doing virtual investiture and it would be great to be able to organize or group the graduates of the same faculty together, since each faculty identifies with color, the views would be phenomenal. It could be grouping and adding an option similar to Breakout Rooms to visually organize. That all can be grouped, but in the same meeting, they can even be added with .csv in the groups previously as it is done with the Breakout Rooms.

Another word of encouragement for the advancement of a feature in which the grid view can be managed in some sort of order. As a teacher, this would be very valuable. For example, Google Meets has all people attending a video call in alphabetical order.

2 Likes

This would be amazing. I would be thrilled to have participants in Alphabetical order. This would be so helpful for a teacher learning 30 plus names of students they’ve never met. Students will be speaking to me and showing me something, but I have to scan the whole room looking for them instead of being able to know where there “seat” is in the grid.

1 Like

Any way to control the grid view in a Webinar would be welcome. When you have many panelists, it’s very hard to manage. Having some sort options such as A-Z, Z-A, 1-N, order of entering webinar, most recent entry first/last, etc would help many people. Being able to preset these as well as change and/or control them during the webinar would be tremendous.

I’m most concerned about being able to control this as a host or co-host on my own screen than forcing that control on all the participants. But both would be good.

2 Likes

I have noticed the order of the participants do not appear to match the list in the Support Knowledge base.
I would like to add my vote for some controls on the order of the participants in the Zoom Meeting gallory view pages. I have frequently wanted to tell the meeting that “John” is in the lower left corner image. But it seem everyone does not have the same order or it changes frequently. If a participant is trying to find someone, they may scan multiple pages to find the person. It’s not in any real order - alphabetic, join time, or attribute. If we are having a discussion and not using Speaker View, the image is highlighted, but could be on a different gallory view page. You can’t find them quickly. Besides alphabetic order, if you floated to the top the "Host"s, “You” and images of the participants doing most of the talking (“talker”), than the first gallory page would usually contain the most active participants and people would not to keep trying to find them.
Jim

Please please please update this feature. I am a teacher, and I desperately need this for helping to organize my virtual classroom!!! Thank you :pray:t3:

2 Likes

Co-sign this thread! Giving the user a way to organize the video feeds and “fix” would be tremendously helpful for any online teaching situation. Given how much business your company has received as a result of schools, tutors, music instructors, etc, you would be doing your clients a great service by prioritizing this concern.

1 Like

Even if it just makes taking roll easier, definitely! Thanks!

1 Like

Thank -you. This feature would be very useful for us too

I second and third this request. I’m also a teacher and would very much like to see my students in a predictable order on the screen.

If I’m not mistaken, it looks like this functionality is on the horizon. See excerpt below from this recent blog post, “Teachers: Top Features for Securing Your Virtual Classrooms & Enhancing Students’ Learning Experiences”…

New teaching & learning enhancements

Some features we have planned over the next two months will help educators use Zoom for remote and online learning.

Enhance class management

Create a virtual classroom seating arrangement, spotlight a group of presenting students, and enjoy other custom meeting views.

Customizable Gallery View

Drag and drop participants in Gallery View into whatever order you choose. This locks the gallery into a fixed configuration that won’t shift when a new person speaks or enters the room. Teachers can have students follow their view for a custom seating arrangement, which is handy for activities that involve “going around the room” in a certain order. In a future update, teachers will be able to save their custom gallery layout as a virtual seating chart.

1 Like

Could someone from Zoom confirm if this feature has been implemented. According to an article in EdSurge, customizable Gallery view now exists.

BUMP! Critical need. Are we almost there? Is it already activated?

Another theater and ELA teacher BEGGING for this resource! Thank you in advance!

I am not from Zoom, but from what I am seeing and have experienced, this functionality is now available. I updated my app last week and have done some basic testing.

See the September 1, 2020 release notes for details --> https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/sections/201214205-Release-Notes

NOTE: it seems that if the meeting host has updated their app to the version that coincides with the 9/1/2020 release notes (or a more recent version,) they will be able to utilize this feature. However, in my limited testing, it seemed that meeting participants will only be able to see the host-defined custom Gallery View if they too have updated their Zoom app. This notion does not seem unusual to me as I noticed some of the new Reaction icons were only visible to others if/when they too had updated their Zoom app.

I’d welcome any feedback from others on that last point if others have done some testing.

Holy mackerel! I think @msheils is right! I have updated my Zoom to 5.2.3, and I look forward to trying this feature as well!

I have almost 100 student in one class. If there is no way to fix sorting like as alphabetical or student id number’s order then it is almost impossible managing an attendance of student. I found that I can re-arrange gallery view by dragging thumbnail, but it is inefficient and if someone re-entering then the ordering is also changed.

4 Likes

I’m a HS teacher in CA. Right now taking attendance is a big time suck. If we could alpha order our grid view that would help so much! A seating chart would be even better.

Thank you.

1 Like