Sporadic CPU Spike from aomhost

Description
Our app is running on the Electron SDK and allows users to update their virtual backgrounds through the Zoom settings. Occasionally when a virtual background is active / selected, aomhost consumes a significant amount of CPU (90+%). This bogs down the video feeds and the app as a whole. If the virtual background is toggled off, aomhost goes away altogether and stops overloading the CPU. Do you know why / how to prevent aomhost from doing this?

Which version?
v5.0.24433.0616

To Reproduce(If applicable)
Steps to reproduce the behavior:

1. Run the Zoom Electron SDK demo app.
  2. Set a virtual background.
  3. Open Activity Monitor and search for aomhost.
  4. View that aomhost CPU usage is spiking.

Laptop (please complete the following information):

• Device: MacBook Pro

Additional context
This only happens sporadically (perhaps 50% of the time). This has also been tested on Mojave and Big Sur and also happens on these other OSes.

I have seen a big uptick in this issue since the upgrading to macOS Big Sur and the latest version of Zoom. I would estimate this is now happening with a frequency of 90% or greater. Before these updates, I was completely unaware of this issue and, to my knowledge, I did not have this problem at all.

2 Likes

Same issue here and lots of chatter happening since the BigSur public GA release - https://www.reddit.com/r/Zoom/comments/jtsyai/zoom_and_big_sur_issues/

aomhost when using a Virtual Background is chewing up all CPU, 90-100%

Zoom Client - Version: 5.4.3 (58887.1115)

2 Likes

Same issue here too tonight, i am on Zoom Version: 5.4.1 (58698.1027)
OS MacOS Big Sur 11.0.1