Web SDK in-meeting chat messages not sending

Description
Chat messages sent through the Web SDK 1.7.8 (sent to “Everyone”) are not received by the other participants using the Web SDK or native macOS app. Messages sent from the native macOS app are received by the Web SDK clients.

Error
Chat messages from Web SDK clients are not being received by other clients.

Which version?
Web SDK 1.7.8

Additional context

The client is embedded in an iframe.

Usage of the SDK:

ZoomMtg.init({
			leaveUrl: 'leave.html',
			isSupportAV: true,
			success: function () {
				ZoomMtg.join(
					{
						meetingNumber: meetingNumber,
						signature: signature,
						apiKey: API_KEY,
						userName: email,
						userEmail: email,
						passWord: "",
						success: function(){
							console.log('join meeting success');
						},
						error: function(res) {
							console.log(res);
						}
					}
				);
			},
			error: function(res) {
				console.log(res);
			}
		});

Hey @b_ting,

Are you seeing any errors in the browser console when trying to sent the messages?

Thanks,
Tommy

Hi Tommy,

No errors or messages from the console.

I also see the messages getting passed up through the WebSocket connection, and there’s a response from the server shortly after.

Thanks,
Brad

Hey @b_ting,

Can you try using the latest version 1.7.10 to see if that fixes the issue?

Thanks,
Tommy

Hi Tommy,

Tried on 1.7.10 with same results.

Here’s a screenshot of what I’m seeing:

Let me know what other info I can provide.

Thanks,
Bradley

Hey @b_ting,

Can you double check you have the Chat setting turned on for the Web SDK host?

Thanks,
Tommy

Hi Tommy,

Yes, this is the chat setting for the host:

Thanks,
Bradley

1 Like

Thanks @b_ting,

Our Web SDK engineers are looking into the issue. (CS-2159)

I will get back to you with an update.

-Tommy

1 Like

We are also having this issue on 1.7.10, which we were forced to upgrade some clients to due to audio issues and a bug with the API key length and the string of issues in all previous versions.

Host messages are not received publicly or privately, participant messages are not received publicly or privately. All messages appear to send and show up in the dialogue for all users. We’ve had users in questions confirm the settings described above, with the same results. Chat is not functional. Which becomes problematic when an Admissions Committee interviewer is trying to help an applicant troubleshoot the issues they’re having getting audio/video connected for their interview.

And we’re greater than 10 days from initial report without a resolution. The constant “fix” cycle of replacing broken releases with broken releases is getting frustrating and making this an incredibly difficult thing to support with our clients. I’m not sure how many more mile long threads of developers complaining about how this is negatively impacting our business it’s going to take before you start taking Web SDK releases more seriously, or fix whatever process issues you have that are allowing this to happen. Every single release of the WebSDK since we started implementing it has had at least one serious, breaking issue or failed to fix the issue it was alleged to fix, and we go days and days without updates or responses from Zoom and weeks without a resolution. And that’s not even the least bit exaggerated. Literally every single release. 1.7.7 has been the closest thing to a working WebSDK we’ve had and it had some serious issues, fortunately more edge case ones though.

Hey @sales1,

We appreciate your patience while we fix the issues. Our Web SDK engineering team is swamped right now and doing their best to support everyone.

I will keep you updated on each of the issues you have reported. :slight_smile:

Thanks,
Tommy

Any updates on this? We have clients starting to conduct interviews and cannot seem to get this to work and haven’t heard anything.

Zoom account level and user level settings to allow participants to chat is enabled.
Zoom Shows “The host has disabled attendee chat.” on meeting join for the host an all participants.
Host goes to security > Allow participants to chat; users can send messages but nobody can see anyone else’s messages.

This particular zoom account is a HIPPA Zoom instance for a medical school client. Would that have any bearing on Chat in the Web SDK? They’re not having issues chatting in the actual Zoom client, so not sure what’s going on here.

We really do need an update and solution ASAP that we can take back to our affected clients.

Hey @sales1,

I have just requested upped priority on this. I will get back to you shortly.

Thanks,
Tommy

1 Like

Our client reached out to us today again and they are desperate for a solution to this. When users start meetings, it shows that the host disabled chat, but they have not, and both user and account settings are set to allow participants to chat. Enabling chat as the host causes the message to disappear and chat controls become available but nobody receives any messages.

Hey @sales1,

Can you please try with version 1.8.0. We fixed some bugs in the Web SDK In Meeting Chat.

https://marketplace.zoom.us/docs/changelog

Thanks,
Tommy

We tested with 1.8.0 a few moments ago and are still seeing the same behaviour. Chat is saying it is disabled by the host but that setting is set to allow participants to chat, and enabling chat from inside zoom does not help.

Hey @sales1,

Thanks for letting us know. Can you share a new screenshot of the issue?

-Tommy

Host, before turning on chat (which should be allowed at both user/account level)

Attendee, before host turned chat on

Host After chat (can send messages, cannot receive)

Attendee, after chat (sends messages, cannot receive)

The behaviour is the same in 1.8.0 (albeit slightly different styling)

Host

Attendee

Thanks @sales1,

Our engineers are reviewing this. I will get back to you with an update asap.

Thanks,
Tommy