WebSDK seems to have full audio functionality in Chrome, iOS 14.5.1 (Not Bug)

Description
We learned WebSDK don’t have any audio functionality when we join meeting using iOS device as described at the following:

But when I updated iOS installed in my iPhone to version 14.5.1, everything has changed:
When I join a meeting by Chrome using our web app and my iPhone, I can tell you by iPhone’s mic and you can hear me.

Shouldn’t we suppose that WebSDK finally has started to support audio functionality in iOS?

Which Web Client SDK version?

Device (please complete the following information):

• iPhone 7
  • Browser: Chrome
  • Browser Version 87.0.4280.163

Additional context
Our web app is developed by Angular 11.

1 Like

Hey @koezukar,

Thank you for reaching out to the Zoom Developer Forum and thank you for reporting this. We’re working with our engineering team to confirm the details.

I’ll be sure to update you here as soon as I can.

Thanks,
Max

Hi, @koezukar,

Thank you for posting in the Developer Forum. The Web SDK (1.9.1) does not entirely support IOS audio. Currently, only webinar attendees are able to listen using Mobile safari. For reference, I’ve linked our supported browsers help documentation. We are actively testing the audio quality for the Safari AudioWorklet, and currently don’t have a timeline yet. Once the audio quality testing is completed, we will release it. Be sure to follow our release log and blog for the latest news, updates, and fixes.

Please let me know if this helps to answer your question.

Best,
Donte

2 Likes

Could you perhaps ‘guesstimate’ about when Zoom may be available on the mobile web browsers, and Zoom calls will be possible via the mobile web browsers without requiring the respective Zoom mobile (native) app?
Are we talking about 1 month from today, 3 months or 6 months?
Thanks

Hi MaxM and donte.S,

Thanks for your replies. Your replies helped me to understand the circumstance.

I have the same question as panos kindly has suggested.
Can we expect WebSDK will fully support iOS mobile browsers in coming version?

Hey @panos and @koezukar,

Great question! Currently, there are other APIs that are related to the AudioWorklet API such as the AudioWorkletProcessor API that are still not available on iOS 14.5 as they haven’t yet been exposed/implemented by Apple.

Because of this, we aren’t able to provide a solid timeline but I can say that as soon as the requisite APIs are available for our team to implement this functionality, our team will work to expand our browser support for the Web SDK.

Thanks,
Max

As of ours latest test with Web sdk 1.9.5 on IOS 14.5.1 and 14.6
MEETING
→ Chrome Mic and Camera works well
→ Safari Mic works but Camera don’t (seems to take a picture and no more)

WEBINAR
→ Neither Chrome nor Safari works BUT when the host allow an attendee to talk websdk ask the browser for audio permission and, as magic, he can talk and listen, as soon the host remove the ability to talk the audio, both listening and microphone, don’t work again. So I’m not really sure that the problem is IOS atm at least for audio

Hey @assemblea,

Thank you for sharing the results of your testing! We’ll be sure to add support as soon as we can.

Thanks,
Max

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.