Zoom Client for ARM based Systems

Most of what I have to say can be found on my post here: Have you considered building zoom for the Raspberry Pi 4 linux system? - #97 by stormchaser30000

But I would like to re-iterate that I believe Zoom on the ARM Linux platform is a huge missed business opportunity for Zoom Video Communications. As I mentioned in the post I linked to, The Raspberry Pi Foundation is giving thousands of Pi 400 computers to children in need and they plan on expanding the program. Currently, the zoom webapp is the only semi-viable solution to the problem (not a great one). If the families from the aforementioned Raspberry Pi Foundation Program, as well as anyone else who uses the ARM and AArch64 (64-bit arm) Linux platforms, are able to access and use the native desktop client, then I am sure the adoption of the Zoom software will skyrocket.

There are of course many other ARM and AArch64 Linux computers out there. Some of the notable ones that come to mind for me are the Pinebook Pro and the RockPro64. Also, some might just use the Raspberry Pi 4 in a compatible case as a desktop computer (as I have done in the past). If Zoom is ported to Linux on the armhf and aarch64 architectures, many, many ARM devices will be able to use the Zoom software, not just the Raspberry Pi computers.

I would also like to point out a potential industry trend in which major companies seem to be moving away from x86_64 to ARM (Apple’s M1 and Microsoft’s attempts at switching to ARM silicon are prime examples). If Zoom Video Communications ports the native Zoom desktop client to the 32-bit and 64-bit ARM architectures, then not only will they be enabling a large audience of companies and individuals access to the service, but they may very well be preparing for the future. A future in which ARM is the dominant desktop processor architecture.

I believe that if Zoom is not ported to ARM, then there is a huge potential for Zoom Video Communications to be missing out on an large untapped market of potential installs, both by businesses and individuals.

1 Like