Have you considered building zoom for the Raspberry Pi 4 linux system?

A friend is having problems with his kids home, all needing their own devices for zoom classes. I have an extra Raspberry Pi 4 that I could give him, but unfortunately zoom does not run on boards based on ARM chips. The Raspberry Pi is a cheap computer board and the Raspberry Pi 4 works quite well as a desktop system, capable of running multiple monitors with 4k HDMI. Would it be possible to get a Debian package built for ARM?

Thank you for your consideration.

8 Likes

Hi @tonylhansen, I definitely see the use case and wish we could provide this; however, we have to prioritize client and SDK engineering resources on other efforts at this time.

1 Like

Thank you for replying, @michael.zoom
I figured as much, but wanted to put this out there in case any of your engineers found some free time to do a recompile. Or at least got it into your queue of feature requests.

Good luck, and stay well

1 Like

Thanks @tonylhansen, for any thoughts or feedback, please do submit at https://zoom.us/feed. While we might not be immediately able to jump on this, we always look for new ideas :slight_smile:

1 Like

Submitted on that link. Thank you for the pointer.

1 Like

Great! thanks @tonylhansen

1 Like

Iā€™m keen to help to make a zoom build for Raspberry Pi. But Iā€™m not sure where should I start with.

1 Like

Even if a setting could be added to take the resolution down into the 300ā€™s for now, that would work for the Raspberry Pi4 with a usb Webcam/mic.

1 Like

Honestly I think the rasp 4 could handle a full zoom app. Iā€™d love to have one working for nearly exactly this use case.

1 Like

I would love to see an RPi4 build as that is my main desktop computer. If you can manage an RPi4 build, how about a build for another ARM CPU, the Rockchip RK3399 as used in the PineBook Pro and other SBCs?

2 Likes

Another request for a Raspberry Pi4 build as well - weā€™re a hospital system who have been testing these devices as thin-clients for VDI and to have a Zoom client would be key for us to deploy en masse.

3 Likes

Thereā€™s a bunch of people on the Raspberry Pi forums who also want a RPI-compatible Zoom client.
Currently their only option is to use the join.zoom website. Unfortunately, itā€™s extremely laggy, and missing a lot of features.

A much better alternative would be the Chromebook App. After all, Raspberry Pies ship with the Chromium browser, and you can install Apps and Extensions.
Many users, including me, have tried using the Chromebook app. For some reason, attempting to login fails with the ā€œLogin time outā€ error.
Also, when trying to join a meeting, the ā€œConnectingā€¦ā€ spinner shows indefinitely. It never connects.

Weā€™re so close! A nearly-compatible app has already been developed, and it almost works.
Almost. But why does it never connect?

I personally led an effort to find out, and finally concluded that the problem originated from the NaCl code built-in to the Chrome App.
See: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=131&t=269833&start=25#p1643325

If that NaCl code is removed or made compatible with armhf, I fully expect the Chromebook App to work flawlessly.

IMHO, fixing the Chromebook App would take relatively little effort, compared to the alternatives like an armhf DEB package.
Also IMHO, fixing the Chromebook App is entirely worth the effort. Raspberry Pies are used by many school students, low-income families, and others who desperately need to stay in touch with their loved ones. With over 30 million devices affected, Iā€™d say this is probably the most worthwhile ā€œFeature Requestā€ ever made.

8 Likes

Just adding my voice to someone who is interesting in getting Zoom to work on the Raspberry Pi!

My kids use Zoom for school and I would love to have my Raspberry Pi be able to run it as well as a Windows PC.

Certainly the Pi should be able to work well since I have tried Duo and Hangouts and they do work pretty well on the Pi.

But Zoom is important and being able to use it on a low-cost device would be great for many families.

Thank you!

3 Likes

Iā€™m going to ā€œthirdā€ the above post concerning Raspberry Pi support.

My partner is an educator and her district requires using Zoom to meet with students. For reasons not relevant to the discussion, she uses a Raspberry Pi (recently upgraded from a Pi3 to a Pi4) as her home computer. To date she has been using a very restrictive and unstable arrangement of a myriad devices thatā€™s far from ideal, extremely unreliable, and totally impractical.

The only way she can use Zoom on the Pi is through the web-based version in the browser; in her case, Chromium (Chrome). However, that method is unstable because the tab hosting the session crashes. That requires reloading the tab. Furthermore, on starting a session, there is substantial lag between the time everything loads, and when the ā€œconnectā€ button becomes clickable (20-50 seconds). Itā€™s one thing when youā€™re hosting and/or are setting up ahead of time, but quite another if the tab crashes mid-session.

Unfortunately, because of the school districtā€™s Zoom requirement, she cannot use another platform that is not only stable, but also supported by the armhf and aarch64 architectures. Sheā€™s kind-of stuck. Unspoken in all of this is that she is doing all of this with a combination of visual disabilities that makes everything even more difficult for her.

But back to the Raspberry Pi: ā€œA bunch of peopleā€¦who want a RPI-compatible Zoom clientā€ is just the tip of the iceberg. That merely refers to the people discussing it in the aforementioned Pi forums. Since its initial release, as many as 30 million Pi units have been sold worldwide as of December, 2019. This number, which keeps growing, should be another motivation for Zoom to produce a native Pi/armhf/aarch64 client. The aforementioned bunch of people are not the only ones who stand to benefit from it.

5 Likes

+1

I need the zoom client to be available in raspberry pi. This is important for my kids to attend class with it.

4 Likes

+1. This would help us a lot as well with remote business users cheaply.

3 Likes

I have recently started using a Raspberry Pi 4 for watching lectures and for doing coursework. Zoom support for ARM32/ARM64 under Wayland would be greatly appreciated.

1 Like

I have the same request as the others in this queue, a Raspberry Pi compatible version of Zoom. We have three sons and two of the three have Raspberry Pi 4 computers for school work. Microsoft Teams works on the Raspberry Pi, but Zoom seems to be plagued with issues on the ARM architecture. They would like to use Zoom to stay in contact with others.

1 Like

Same here. A zoom client for the Raspberry Pi 4 would definitely be a step forward!

But actually I found this on https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/working-from-home-with-your-raspberry-pi/. Might help.

Using Zoom

While there isnā€™t a Zoom desktop client for Raspberry Pi, you can run the Zoom client application, or even host a meeting, directly in the browser.

Open your browser, navigate to join.zoom.us, and enter the meeting ID and password; if you have received an email invitation, you can click directly on the meeting request URL in the email.

Click on the cancel button when prompted to ā€œOpen xdg-openā€ by Zoom

Click on the ā€˜Cancelā€™ button when prompted to ā€˜Open xdg-openā€™ by Zoom

Then, when you get asked to ā€˜Open xdg-open?ā€™ in the system dialog that opens, click on ā€˜Cancelā€™.

Next click on the ā€˜click hereā€™ link near the bottom of the page where it says ā€œIf nothing prompts from browser, click here to launch the meetingā€¦ā€. Another ā€˜Open xdg-open?ā€™ system dialog will open, and you need to click on ā€˜Cancelā€™ again.

Then you should see a new ā€œstart from your browserā€ link in really small font at the bottom of the page. Go ahead and click on the this link.

Your Zoom meeting should now start normally in your browser.

2 Likes

Yes, I am aware of this join.zoom option. (and addressed it in my earlier post)
However, everyone who has tried it has said that itā€™s really laggy, even at a 2GHz overclock. (as of several weeks ago)

Edit: some people have recently said that the video is now a lot smoother playing, though Iā€™ve not had a chance to test it again yet.

1 Like