Zoom Client for ARM based Systems

This is for developer-specific feature requests. For other requests please contact our customer support team.

Is your feature request related to a problem? Please describe.
Zoom does not run on boards based on ARM chips. So we tried to adopt web client but it turns out the browser is consuming most of our CPUs and making system being frozen.

Describe the solution you’d like
Would you support ARMv8 64-bit systems for operating Zoom native client?

Describe alternatives you’ve considered
We want to put Zoom on top of our business for providing solutions to our BtoB customers, but actually have not much things to do other than carrying our service on Microsoft Teams or GoToMeeting

Additional context
I read a similar issue Raspberry Pi users are having, which I believe is a huge market opportunity for Zoom to extend its ecosystem to Raspberry Pi’s

10 Likes

We came across the exact scenario too. Running on browser consumes the entire RAM and CPU and making the system hung. In desperate need of a native client for ARM based systems.

2 Likes

I have a Pinebook Pro, which uses the ARM64 chips. I do need to use zoom, but it isn’t available on this ARM64 based laptop.

I’m hoping that the Zoom team can make it available soon.

– Saul

2 Likes

Schools and school kids here have millions of RaspberryPis. Zoom just doesn’t work acceptably on any browser. It’s brilliant on our phones which use the same same ARM64 designed chips.

Please expedite a Debian based ARM64 app as we are looking at another upcoming COVID-19 hiatus.

6 Likes

A zoom desktop client running on raspbian buster (debian 10) 32 bits in a raspberry pi 4 (armv8 architectures) it will be fully appreciated and used. It is really neccesary for millons of students and families with low incomes affected by covid19 pandemia. Students (primary, middle school and university) are using raspberry pi as an accesible desktop standard pc, potentiated by its open source, teaching environmet capabilities for coding or STEM projects and o take virtual classes over many clasroom web platforms. I think its an imediate priority for zoom consolidation as a virtual education environment.
Thank you very much in advance

6 Likes

Same here. Pinebook Pro. No ARM Linux client. :frowning:
–Mike

And the same here:

Also on a Pinebook Pro; no ARM Linux client that supports Zoom.

Zoom Arm client widely asked and discussed here:

Yes, please.

I’ve been a big player in the push for Zoom on Raspberry Pies, and have done my best to provide solutions.

Currently, there are only two options for ARM devices:

• Emulate the 32-bit x86 version of Zoom using my Pi-Apps Raspberry Pi app store. This works, most of the time, but performance could be much better if the code was native ARM.
  • Run the Zoom Chrome App in a Chromium-based browser that has NaCl support. Right now, only ChromebookOS has NaCl support. See my comment in the main Zoom-rpi thread for instructions. (it’s pretty easy)