Zoom Phone Rate limits don't seem to match with the documentation

Hi Guys,

I’m trying to do multiple calls to Zoom Phone API and I’m getting an error of Rate limit (specifically this one: {"code":429,"message":"Sorry, the maximum number of api requests is already reached. Please try later."} even though I’m nowhere near the number specified in the documentation.

This is exactly what’s happening in my code:

• I get a new access token with the refresh token flow.
  • I enumerate all the users from zoom.
  • I call /phone/users/{userId}/voice_mails & /phone/users/{userId}/recordings for each user.

In this flow, for my case I end up making 13 API calls. These calls take time to resolve (between ~200 & 900ms), let’s take the “worst” case for our scenario, all calls take 200ms, in that case I’m doing ~5 API calls per second which is way below the rate limit specified in the documentation (160 Request/Second).

If I put a pause of 1 second between each call I don’t receive this error ever, I tried running my code multiple times and couldn’t see this error under this conditions.

With a pause of 500ms between each call the error happens in the forth run or something around that.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks!

Hey @jarrieta,

I was able to reproduce this and will investigate why this is happening and will get back to you.

Thanks,
Tommy

1 Like

Hey @jarrieta,

The Zoom Phone engineering team said that the rate limiting for the Zoom Phone API is 1 request per second.

I will update our rate limit documentation to include this.

Thanks,
Tommy

Hey @tommy

All right, that explains this behavior.

Thanks!

1 Like

Hey @tommy

Quick question, is this something that will be improved in the future?

Hey @jarrieta,

I’d assume so, but let me confirm.

In a future release the rate limit will be increased. I don’t have a specific timeframe/date though.

1 Like

@tommy that’s more than enough.

Thanks!

1 Like

You’re welcome, happy to help!

1 Like

Hey @jarrieta,

We updated our docs with the Zoom Phone API rate limits.

This rate limit common apis 10 request/per second Is for perticular user-Level or account-level ?

Hey @dbbendale, thanks for reaching out.

The rate limits are for both Account and User Level app types.

Thanks,
Tommy