A Couple of issues with joining Webinar using web client sdk

Description
Using the web client SDK for online Webinars.
These are the issues we saw during the webinar.

1. Panelist is joined as an attendee even though userEmail is the same one added to zoom website. Panelists have to be manually promoted. Rejoining after manual promotion doesn’t always keep the same status, and puts them back as attendees. Similar issue mentioned a year ago.
  2. When multiple users join around the same time, they display the same username even though the supplied userName and userEmail parameters are different in the joinConfig, i.e There are multiple users with same name in the attendees/panelist list.
  3. Following the 2nd point. I tried to rename the attendee/panelist using ‘rename’ api. Discussed here. I received both success and error callback. It renamed the panelists instantly, however, the attendees name change was only reflected if they rejoin/refresh the webinar/page.

Which Web Client SDK version?

To Reproduce(If applicable)
Steps to reproduce the behavior:
Point 1

1. Add panelist to zoom panelist list.
  2. join as panelist with panelist email in userEmail field and role=0
  3. panelist is joined as an attendee.

Point 2

1. Not exactly sure how to reproduce, however has happened in every webinar we hosted so far.
  2. As users join at the same time, the names start duplicating. Last webinar we hosted had about 100 attendees, some attendees had their name repeated 15 times (15 different attendees with same name).

Point 3

1. Make sure the user is an attendee and run the following code.
ZoomMtg.getCurrentUser({
    success(res) {
        console.log('Retrieved the current user.', res)
        var renameConfig = {
            userId: res.result.currentUser.userId,
            oldName: res.result.currentUser.userName,
            newName: model.username,
            success(res) {
                console.log('Renamed the user.', res)
            },
            error(err) {
                console.error('Failed to rename the user!', err)
            }
        };
        console.log(renameConfig)
        ZoomMtg.rename(renameConfig);
    },
    error(err) {
        console.error('Failed to get current user!', err)
    }
})
  1. username is not changed.
  2. Refresh the page.
  3. The new username is shown.

Device (please complete the following information):

• Device: Desktop
  • Browser: Chrome
  • Browser Version Version 90.0.4430.93 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Hey @it117,

Thank you for reaching out to the Zoom Developer Forum.

Please send an email to developersupport@zoom.us with a link to this thread. In that email, please include the Webinar ID involved as well as the panelist that joined as an attendee.

So far, I haven’t seen this behavior but I’ll work to reproduce this on my end and keep you updated in our ticket.

We are aware of this issue with Safari, but not in Chrome. Just to confirm - you saw this behavior in Chrome?

Thanks,
Max

1 Like

Hey Max,

Thanks for replying,

I will do so. Just to let you know all 15 Panelists joined as attendees, before manually promoting them. If they rejoined, only some rejoined as attendees, while others rejoined as panelists (after manual promotion)

This happened in all events and Dry Runs we have hosted so far.

Yes, using latest Chrome build. Both on localhost and staging environment.

We will be conducting another Dry Run today for the upcoming event, I’ll keep you posted about the status.

Hey @it117,

Thank you, we’ll keep an eye out for the ticket that you submit and investigate the issues you’re seeing further from there.

Thanks,
Max

Hey @MaxM ,
I have submitted the ticket!

Thank you for submitting a ticket, I’ll follow up with you there.

Max