Call Recordings with the Phone API

Hello, we are having an issue figuring out how to download all recordings for a call from start to finish. We are not using WebHooks right now, only the Phone API. Our workflow is something like the following:

1- Get the account call log for the last 6 hours (and we keep moving forward the sliding window), taking note of the calls we already analyzed(completed calls).

2- Get the recordings for each completed call

My questions are, without using webhooks.

• How do we know if the completed call has a recording before downloading it? An announcement says the field has_recording is deprecated and is not even shown in the accountCallLogs operation (but is still shown in the json results).

• In case there is a recording, how do we know if it is available for download?

• How to download the recordings using the Phone API? Something like the download_url field if we used the webhooks!

I appreciate any help you can provide.

Is anyone from support at Zoom here?

Hi @jose
Thanks for reaching out to us
To be able to get call recordings you could benefit from our Phone API endpoints
You could use the Get/users/recordings endpoint

Regarding your questions, if you are not leveraging webhooks, you would have to wait some minutes to have the recordings ready, unfortunately, we do not have a set time on how much it will take for a recording to be completed and ready to query.
And yes the has_recording field has been deprecated.

Is there any endpoint to get the call recordings from the whole call, from start to finish?

So, if the has_recording field is deprecated, how do I know in advance if the call has a recording? this way I would not even try to download it.

Hi @jose
We do not have an endpoint to query the specific call recording for a specific call, but we do have webhooks that would suffice this scenario, which is the phone.recording_completed that will let you know when the recording is ready to download and you will also get the download_url in the payload

Yes, I know that if I use webhooks or websockets notifications, I can get notified when a recording is complete. Still, for cases when the call does not have a recording, I cannot wait for the notification to publish the call. If I get a notification that the call recording is complete, I can be sure that the call has a recording, but if I don’t, how do I know if the call has a recording? In this case, the has_recording field was handy.

My workflow is like this:

When a call finishes, I get the call log (pooling every 10s this endpoint: /phone/call_logs), analyze the call, and:
1- if the call does not have a recording, I will publish the call ASAP to our systems
2- If the call has a recording, I wait for the recording to be available for download, download the recording, and publish the call to our system.

Any suggestions?

Hi @jose
I see what you mean.
I do not think there is a workaround for this if you are not using webhooks, you will have to call the phone/call_logs endpoint and implement the workflow you are currently using/or have in mind

Thanks for the answer, I am wondering what was the decision behind the removal of that field: has_recordings

Thank you @jose
Unfortunately, I am not aware of the reason behind this decision, but I can look internally to see if there is any information available, and if so I will get back to you

One last question: what is the API call to download a recording based on the recording_id? I cannot find any in the documentation for recordings!

What endpoint are you talking about? to download phone recordings, you just need user_id

When I call that endpoint with my the user_id coming in the call log, I got not recordings

what about if I use this endpoint: /phone/call_logs/{record['id']}/recordings
I found this in the forum but I cannot find it in the documentation!
Here is the forum link: https://devforum.zoom.us/t/change-in-phone-api-call-get-recording-by-call-id-file-url-no-longer-listed-in-documentation/93107

Hi @jose
Sorry for the late reply here
I can not find the endpoint you are mentioning here, but after reading the thread you shared, it looks like the endpoints are in beta so they are still private

To download all recordings for a call using the Zoom Phone API without webhooks have you tried these steps?:

1. Check for Recordings: Use the Get/users/recordings endpoint to attempt to retrieve call recordings, since there’s no direct method to check if a call has a recording :record_button:after the deprecation of the has_recording field.
  2. Downloading Recordings: Download recordings using the Get/users/recordings endpoint. Note that there’s no specific way to determine if a recording is ready for download without webhooks.