Email is empty string for meeting.participant_left and meeting.participant_joined events

API Endpoint(s) and/or Zoom API Event(s)

• meeting.participant_left event
  • meeting.participant_joined event

Description
My company uses Zoom webhooks to keep track of our users’ attendance to meetings. Sometimes, we get Zoom webhook events where the email field is an empty string for meeting.participant_left or meeting.participant_joined events. We pre-register everyone for the meeting, so why would we see empty email fields sporadically?

I have already read the docs (like Zoom API Events - Meeting and Using Zoom APIs) but I still do not understand why it would happen for our system.

We can ignore the events where the email is an empty string but we want to make sure we aren’t missing important information that we actually need.

Error?
No error, just don’t understand the behavior

How To Reproduce
Unsure. It’s sporadic.

Hi @emk
Thanks for reaching out to the Zoom Developer Forum and welcome to our community! I am happy to help here!

The reason why you are not getting emails for the events that you are subscribed to could be that the user has not registered for the event but as you mentioned, you handle the registration for those meetings.
This is an interesting scenario and it should not happen if the users are registered for the meeting, I will send you a private message so I can follow up on this issue.

Best,
Elisa

I have a similar situation. I have my personal and my company google accounts setup via zoom with google calendar integration set up for both.
I created a meeting with my work account inviting my personal account via the Zoom Google Calendar integration. If I understand the email rules correctly the email should then come through via the meeting joined event but it doesn’t.
What am I missing?

Hi @dev23
The email would only come in the response body if the user is joining while logged in to their Zoom account

Learn more about email address display rules here:
https://marketplace.zoom.us/docs/guides/stay-up-to-date/announcements/#api-email-address-display-rules

Cheers,
Elisa

Apologies, I should have specified that both users where logged in to their Zoom Accounts and both have integrations setup to google calendar. Still no email in the joined events though. Something else that may be of interest is that I joined the meeting from my mobile device where I was singed in using my personal account.

Hi @dev23
Interesting. I do not know why this could be happening.
I will go ahead and send you a private message to troubleshoot this further.

Cheers,
Elisa

This topic was automatically closed 368 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.