Graceful handling of 'meeting not yet started' scenario

Description
If I attempt to use the Zoom Windows desktop client to join a meeting that has not yet been started by the host (and is configured not to allow attendees in ahead of the host), I get a helpful dialog asking me to wait for the host to start the meeting.

If I try to join the same meeting with the Web SDK client, I get an unintuitive error message titled ‘Joining meeting timeout’ and saying ‘Your connection has timed out and you cannot join the meeting. Verify your network connectivity and try again.’

How can I achieve the desktop client experience instead?

Error
Your connection has timed out and you cannot join the meeting. Verify your network connectivity and try again.

Which version?
1.8.6 (CDN)

To Reproduce(If applicable)
Steps to reproduce the behavior:

1. Create a basic meeting with Waiting Room enabled and ‘Join before host’ disabled.
  2. Launch web SDK client and attempt to join the meeting without the host having started the meeting
  3. Observe resulting error message

Screenshots

Device (please complete the following information):

• Browser: Edge 87

Additional context
N/A

Hey @johnrix,

I believe this issue will be fixed in the upcoming release, scheduled for today. I’ve already had a play around with the 1.9.0 release and it looks like it’s fixed, and there’s now also the ability to send messages to the waiting room, which works well.

Thanks,
Alex

Hey @johnrix,

That’s right, thanks again to @alexmayo! Please test with the latest version of the Web SDK (1.9.0) and let us know if the error message is improved.

Thanks,
Max

1 Like

I have the same problem, updated to 1.9.0 but the situation is the same:

Hey @brkic and @johnrix,

Thank you for the update. It looks like this fix is slated for a future release and wasn’t included in v1.9.0. Our engineering team is aware and will push out a fix for this error dialog in a future release.

My mistake for the confusion there. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Max

1 Like

Thanks for the update @MaxM. I’ll be waiting with baited breath! :smiley:

1 Like

Let us know if you need help with anything else in the meantime @johnrix ! :slight_smile:

Thanks,
Tommy

Thanks @tommy, I always do! :wink:

1 Like

We’ll be sure to keep you updated!

Max

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.