Have you considered building zoom for the Raspberry Pi 4 linux system?

I tried Zoom today using Chromium in Raspbian and Ubuntu and didn’t seem much better.

Tried a couple of suggestions but still laggy and freezing.

2 Likes

I actually asked the author of that article for help with Zoom on the RPI. No response.

1 Like

Also looking forward this port

1 Like

@gomntwins:

I tried Zoom today using Chromium in Raspbian and Ubuntu and didn’t seem much better.

Tried a couple of suggestions but still laggy and freezing.

I actually asked the author of that article for help with Zoom on the RPI. No response.

Ok, so I’m not doing this under Raspbian, but under Ubuntu (19.10 currently) with the MATE desktop on my partner’s eTeaching Pi 4 (4 GiB). I cannot promise it’ll work under Raspbian, but don’t see why it wouldn’t:

Log in, open a terminal window and issue sudo setpci -s 01:00.0 0xD4.B=0x41 to see if the freezing up (keyboard, mouse, and/or video) goes away. If it does, then either run that command on user login or make it permanent. Then, if incoming audio is choppy/sounds like a Dalek, you need to change the way the audio modules load. With PulseAudio, that happens from /etc/pulse/default.pa and is accomplished with changing load-module module-udev-detect to load-module module-udev-detect tsched=0.

You may want to read this Zoom on a Pi4 thread in the raspberrypi forums.

2 Likes

Haha I actually have posts in that thread along with others here.

I have tried to get Zoom to work better in Raspbian and Ubuntu (20.04).

I have tried those suggestions but still no luck.

Again, Zoom should run just fine since other video calling apps run much better pretty much right away.

Ultimately have a native Zoom app for the RPI would be great.

That or resolve the Native Client issue that seems to prevent the Chrome Zoom App from working. Botspot discovered this.

2 Likes

I’d like to add my voice to this request for zoom to work with Raspberry Pi 4. I’ve been working with a number for neglected families and the only cost effective computer is a Pi. With schools already planning to be online for the beginning of the year and the cheapest usable laptop being around $350 a Pi4 is often the only solution that can be distributed in any meaningful quantity without a generous benefactor. Given that Botspot has outlined a possible solution, it seems a valid ask to have resources allocated to the issue.

3 Likes

I also would apreciate to rum zoom in my raspberry pi.

2 Likes

I also totally support this request.
Many schools are struggling with providing a low cost solution for online teaching ant the mix Zoom / Raspberry would be a killer one!

3 Likes

Here in India as well, with schools starting new academic years on ZOOM, it would be really great to see a native app for Raspi 4. Web/browser based zoom meetings are pretty erratic as the video keeps shifting to active speaker, dont have the option for gallery view or pin a video.
Raspi 4 with a native zoom client would be just awesome, has the potential to disrupt a lot of markets.

2 Likes

+1. it will be nice to have zoom on raspi4

1 Like

Nth’ed.

Zoom and slack are the only pieces of non-free software running on my machine. I would greatly appreciate the ability to relegate that to a piece of hardware I don’t care about.

Running zoom on a raspberry pi would make me a lot more comfortable.

1 Like

I can’t even get the video to not be so laggy or freezing using Chromium on my RPI4.

2 Likes

There is a bunch of reasons to get zoom into the Pi 4 at least. I can see how it can become the leader on zoom for office meeting rooms if it becomes available.

I got here because I wanted to do a POC on Zoom in Pi 4 for my company but got hard stopped for this.

1 Like

I too would love to see support for ARM, more specifically aarch64. I am a Pinebook Pro user and I have found the web client less than ideal.

It would also be nice to have a quicker way to get to the web client option. I know the meeting host can change their advanced preferences to include a web client link in the invite, but it would be nice to have a way as an attendee to go right into web client. I don’t even get the web client option in Firefox.

1 Like

You can use the web client in Firefox-however there is no audio connection capability so it’s worthless.

1 Like

I tried it on a Pinebook Pro and it seemed to work with audio. I will test further. Where were you having issues?

1 Like

I have not tried Zoom with Firefox on my RPI4 recently. It appears though audio support may have been added:

Normally I just use Chromium and experience laggy and freezing video.

I have tried the setpci “fix” suggested on the Raspberry Pi forums but no luck there.

Also we know the Chrome web app won’t work because Chromium doesn’t support Native Client anymore.

4 Likes

A large number of my team are using Pi4s - with the recent release of the 8GB version it makes the devices more capable. Dual screen capabilities make these devices ideal cheap desktops. We’d embrace an ARM image - even if it was alpha!!

1 Like

I don’t have a Pi4 yet, but was thinking to try flashing Android 9 on my Pi3B and seeing if Zoom for Android works. Phone is ARM. Pi is ARM. I expect it will work. If that works you just need to reboot with a different memory card to use Zoom. Heck if it’s usable, maybe use Android and Google Docs as your daily driver for school work.

Zoom has some ARM code since it runs on Android already. Not sure how difficult the port would be.

Also, wondering if there is some H.323 compatible client that runs on Pi that could connect to a Zoom meeting as a VC room. Seems like a number of options.

If I get one working, I will report back.

1 Like

Others have installed zoom on their pies running Android.
See: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=261228&start=125#p1644338

1 Like