Have you considered building zoom for the Raspberry Pi 4 linux system?

Id also love to add that it will be great to see zoom work on a raspberry pi 4. I am using Pi-4 for my 10 yo son’s laptop. Get him used to good machines instead of defaulting it to a mac/expensive machine

1 Like

+1 to this suggestion. I would love to make more use of my raspberry pi, and a zoom app would greatly enable this

1 Like

Looks like no traction on this. I am pretty certain my kids are going to be doing eLearning at least 50% of the time and still would like to see Zoom have an official app for the RPI4.

1 Like

+1 for me too. I use Raspberries for practically everything (local) and would love to be able to Zoom on it instead of my iPad.

1 Like

I am also a person with a Logitech C920 camera, Raspberry Pi 4 and 3B+
My Pi4 is perm in my lounge, on a 65" TV with LibreElec.
I’d gladly dual boot it, if needed to some kind of environment which let me do Zoom calls.

More importantly, I’d love some kind of almost permenant zoom station for my wife to chat to her family - almost a “one touch zoom” device, boot it and it’s done, no other interaction.

I don’t know what is needed to achieve this but the Pi is a fairly powerful little device, so please consider /something/ even if it’s just something the smarter Pi folks can work with to get something up and running.

2 Likes

We have a Pi (a 3B+ in our case) running LibreElec connected to the TV, so I get it. Though it’ll remain dedicated in my case, that familiarity allows me to posit two things:

1. Seeing as Libre (as well as OpenElec and OSMC) is nothing more than Kodi with a wrapper (a super barebones Raspbian/Raspberry Pi OS with requisite tweaks so it can boot), why not install Kodi on a full Pi OS instead of making a dual boot setup? There are several ways you could launch Kodi at that point, and you’d always have a PC on tap.

2. Though I haven’t done it, nor have the skill set for it, in theory it shouldn’t be too hard to write an extension/plug-in for Kodi to run a hypothetical Zoom application. It’s been done for Prime Video, Netflix, and a few other packages…

Either way, I maintain that there’s a real need for a dedicated ARM-friendly Zoom application for the Pi.

That said, seeing how long this thread has been around, I’m concerned that Zoom’s makers have heretofore remained silent on the matter. There’s been no sign that they’re monitoring this forum/thread. Hopefully I’m wrong…

1 Like

Adding another request for a Zoom app for ARM architecture. I just picked up a RPi because I heard (apparently wrongly) that it could be used as a Zoom box. Anytime I try to use the join meeting link, though, even when attempting to connect through the Chromium browser, I get an error 3000. :frowning:

3 Likes

+1

The potential solution described by @Botspot on May 13 seems like a great idea. The school year is approaching and parents with multiple children at home preparing for online classes need a low cost way to provide multiple zoom enabled workstations!

1 Like

My kids are doing remote learning again would really like to have the RPI4 ready for Zoom,

1 Like

+1 for Zoom to support Raspberry Pi4

1 Like

+1 for RaspberryPi/ARMv7/armhf RaspberryPiOS/raspbian/debian support.

My organization (University of Padua, Italy, ~2500 employees + ~2600 teachers) has chosen Zoom as the official metting platform… I work remotely flawlessly with my rpi4 except for Zoom :frowning:

I just tried the zoom website with Logitech B525 HD Webcam (ID 046d:0836, provided by my organization):

• using Vivaldi: the voice is robotic both ways, video lags very hard (1 frame every 5 seconds)
  • using Chromium: my voice is smooth, the others voice is robotic, video lags very hard (1 frame every 5 seconds)
  • using Firefox: audio mic not supported
1 Like

+1 for native zoom support on raspberry pi from me as well.

I’m currently using a Pi 3 to work from home using Citrix Workspace and it’s working well, I use zoom for about 4-6hours a day for work and it’s the missing link for having the perfect low power work from home thin client.

It might need a Pi 4 though as a minimum spec, which would still be fine.

2 Likes

I’ve been using RbP for both development work and personal projects for years. Recently, my org started to transition over to Zoom and I was frankly mortified to discover that there’s no arm64 build available, which is going to cause me a world of hurt.

My kids are just starting school with remote learning as well, and I set them up with new 8GB RbP 4Bs running Ubuntu MATE, and now we’re in a similar completely screwed situation there, as well. I’m not about to buy a box full of Chromebooks when RBPs do more for a lot less… you guys need to fix Zoom. This isn’t an “nice to have” given the current global situation - it’s absolutely imperative.

In the mean time, I’m going to be making the case both to my org and my school district that Zoom isn’t an appropriate option do this lack of ARM/RbP support.

1 Like

I solved the robotic audio issue:

# add tsched=0 in /etc/pulse/default.pa on this line:
load-module module-udev-detect tsched=0

however the web client is not practical: you always have to input the meeting ID manually and you miss the chat which is very essential!

2 Likes

Ditto for me. Raspi 4 is a great low cost desktop alternative that would make a great zoom client. Zoom already supports Linux x86. Just give us an arm port please…

2 Likes

That is disappointing. I had assumed that the Rpi4 8gb would be powerful enough, not realising that it is an ARM issue.
I notice that Android can be installed on the RPi (issue 71 of MagPi Magazine, Jul 2018 - https://www.raspberrypi.org/magpi-issues/MagPi71.pdf ) Maybe that is a route to using Zoom? I’ve not tried it myself.

2 Likes

Installing android as suggested on magpi is not a viable solution: it only support Rpi3 and have some known issues.
However android doesn’t offer the same experience as using a full fledge linux desktop setup :frowning:

2 Likes

Any hope on getting standalone application for ARM based systems in linux?
I’m using this SBC - Odroid C4 and my primary use case is to use this low-cost hardware/architecture for conducting Online Classes using Zoom. But the browser version is extremely laggy and drains up all the resources after few minutes, making the system hung. Is there any other alternative? How soon could we see a standalone app on ARM?

1 Like

Update: Someone has released a special edition of Chromebook OS that runs Zoom on a Rpi!
Because I asked nicely, they’ve added NaCl support to the browser.
That’s right - it turns out the default RaspiOS’s chromium does not include NaCl. That’s why the Zoom Chromebook App never connected. But when I asked the RPi developers to add it to default chromium-browser, they flatly refused.
Anyway, here is the CrOS images for download. (one for Pi3, the other for Pi4)

The Zoom Chrome App works. Framerate is better than doing it in-browser, and you have more features, but besides that, CrOS is very inconvenient. For some reason, the OS randomly blacks out the screen, and you just have to wait for it to come back. Also, screen tearing is severe, even for just scrolling down a webpage.

To conclude, this may help some of you, but it’s very far from a decent solution. The Zoom team really needs to consider doing armhf releases. Just look at this thread, there is a lot of interest! Or if that’s not enough, check out all the complaint threads on the RPi forums!
Or if they’re too short on manpower, then please release the source code so the RPi gurus can compile it themselves.

3 Likes

Botspot, thanks for the info provided. I just got my first RPI and I’m looking forward to setting it up as a dedicated Zoom rig. I agree with you that we need a build for RPI. I really hope the Zoom development team understands the impact this would have on the Zoom users. Imagine everyone having a zoom RPI rig setup in their living room to comfortably chat with family and friends. Also, thousands of kids and low income families need an affordable way to connect with classmates and teachers. This could be a quick win that will help Zoom with even more market penetration as well as making it a standard way for us all to communicate.

Question: Did anyone notice a major difference in using WiFi vs Ethernet?

I will post back once I have the RPI setup to provide more feedback.

1 Like