Implement Virtual Backgrounds in Linux

I am using ubuntu 18.04, and it works normally for me. I can choose some colour in the background it is fine. At work, I have a blue background which is perfect for the background. My problem is that I cannot upload a video as my background. I updated version: 5.6.7 (the latest one), and whenever I click the + sign, I cannot see the “add image / add video” menu. Only a window pops up and asks me to choose an image.

Please help us with that, I am sure the code at the background can work in Linux :slight_smile:

1 Like

In Ubuntu, I don’t see the option of blur background. Could the zoom team add the same functionality to Linux? Thanks

1 Like

Sorely needed. Switched from Windows to Debian several months before the pandemic. Could not be happier. Then Zoom became the de facto standard for collaboration. Now when I have to join a client meeting and need a “professional” background, I have to re-boot into Windows, an awful process that drags me through the whole Windows update nightmare. It would be truly sad if I have to switch back to Windows just because of this. I know it’s not the hardware, because I’m on a dual boot machine, and virtual backgrounds work perfectly on Windows.

2 Likes

This feature is absolutely needed. Another Vote!

1 Like

Another vote for this request.

1 Like

Please, this is so needed.

1 Like

Another bump for this feature

1 Like

I tried the Virtual Background on Linux using a green background and it works only when there is some daylight. The feature doesn’t work with artificial lighting during the late evenings. I’ve tested it out on Mac OS as well and it worked like a charm.

I strongly agree that this feature is very important for the whole Linux community.

1 Like

The only feature stopping me switching over completely from google meet.

2 Likes

+1. Zoom is currently the only application I need my Mac for because of this missing capability. I work with a team that also uses Linux as their daily drivers for daily pairing activities, so adding this capability would allow us to simplify our setups drastically.

1 Like
  • my vote for implimenting virtual backgroud fo linux.
    Every update i hope this feature was implemented, but still no =(
1 Like

I work with important meetings, events and webinars and this feature would be a great implementation for Zoom on Linux.

Yes for this!

1 Like

@ojus.zoom @tommy @michael.zoom @shrijana.g
This seems to be one of the only feature requests with this volume of views/replies with no staff reply. It would really be nice to at least know if Zoom has already considered (and rejected or planned to implement) this feature. Thanks

4 Likes

I also wonder how is this not implemented in 2021 already. Please do so!

1 Like

I’d love to be able to use this feature as well, +1.

1 Like

Hello,

I hope my reply helps get a staff to at least notice this post.

After waiting for more than a year, I find it at the least disappointing that many paying customers aren’t even getting a reply to this post as to whether you are even considering this feature to be on the roadmap.

Many people, including my family, use zoom almost everyday now and being held back from moving to Fedora/Debian because of this one feature is a sad reality not just for me, but also other families who are unable to use Macbooks or Windows laptops.

I don’t think I need a long reply so as to whether you are considering adding this function. Just a simple yes/no would do. Nevertheless I thank the zoom team for even dedicating a team to develop for Linux distros

2 Likes

I lost hope in waiting for Zoom to do this quite a while ago.
I’ve been using my own webcam mods based v4l. I recently added background removal by using Google meets mediapipe. It gives good performance on CPU and has good accuracy. I’ll need to work on making the edges a bit smoother.

You’ll get

• cropping
  • padding
  • [coming soon] zoom options
  • bg removal
  • head tracking (inspired by google nest hub)

I’m planning to go and clean up the code but it should work on Linux for now. I run it on Arch Linux. Let me know if you wanna contribute or run into a bug or have a feature request.

Find it here at

I’ll update the readme with more information

2 Likes

I thought my laptop’s hardware was bad. So, I bought a better one and now I am realizing it was zoom’s linux client’s fault all the time.

1 Like

I did exactly the same: bought a new laptop believing my hardware went too old…
@zoom1234 developers why don’t you fix this !

1 Like

Ubunty 20.04 LTS runs python 3.8, even after installing 3.7 still unable to install this mods ;-(
Could we get a running version for python 3.8 ?

1 Like