Implement Virtual Backgrounds in Linux

G’day mates! I was wondering that maybe some of our folks on AB-Inbev BEES don’t turn on their cameras at our conferences because of the faulty Zoom Virtual Background feature on Linux . I believe that losing visual contact is a major loss for our home-based communication, and relying only on verbal/oral comms affects not only our efficiency but our climate as well.
Does anyone around find a simple way to fix this faulty Zoom Virtual Background feature on Linux , and would like to share with everyone (since most of our backend dev team uses Linux)?

1 Like

I’ll take a look. I think one of the dependencies I’m using for face detection might need it check support for python 3.8 · Issue #7 · hamidzr/webcam-mods · GitHub

1 Like

Another request from my side please and thanks.

1 Like

+1 it is already implemented on macOS, please adjust it to linux!

1 Like

You can try it with python 3.8 now if you’re not looking for the facetracking feature using a dev branch I just put up called python38.

update: I got a notification that my post and link to the repo was flagged as spam or advertisement by a community member :man_shrugging: so I’m not sure if I can share the link. If you can’t find the repo anymore direct message me.

1 Like

It seems this feature has been implemented in v 5.7.6. I am now able to use virtual background without a green screen.

3 Likes

Thanks for lettings us know. I’ve also checked their virtual background system requirements here: Zoom Virtual Background system requirements – Zoom Help Center, and it’s updated to state that “Image only without a physical green screen” is available on linux v 5.7.6+

2 Likes

I tried the new version and I confirm I can get virtual backend and background blur on my webcam as well. (Arch Linux) although it’s a bit finicky, sometimes I get a black video feed instead. I’m not sure why. I still use the webcam-mods tool to crop in the webcam and to adjust how big my face appears to others. It’d be nice if this was native to Zoom as well.

2 Likes

where do you get this version v5.7.6 ? Download center is only providing version

1 Like

hmmm, updated to 5.76 today, the blur feature shows up, logged out and restarted both the computer and zoom. Blur either leaves things unblurred, and none of the image backgrounds work with no greenscreen. Running up-to-date manjaro, kernel 5.10, 8 core intel i7 9the gen cpu, which should work. Occasionally, instead of just not blurring, I get a black screen until I switch to “none” for background. Bummer, I was hoping this would work.

Updated to v5.8.0 today Ubuntu20.04, was hoping this feature is added but it is not.
Virtual background is there on settings, but not working
I add my vote to add this feature for linux users.

Also just installed 5.8.0.16 on Ubuntu 20.4. Virtual backgrounds only work (kind of) with green screen checkbox ticked. Does not work when checkbox not ticked.

Installed using deb package downloaded from zoom download centre.

This remains a major problem for us - with remote work continuing and needing to be on zoom often in public places, virtual backgrounds on linux are essential.

Upvote also by me! Ubuntu 20.04, Zoom client version: 5.8.3 (145). The feature is present in the setting but does not work. Neither the background image, nor the background blur.

Same problem here using Kubuntu 20.04.3 and Zoom 5.8.3

Upvote from me too! I’ve also used the shiny, glittering Windoze version and the Linux effort leave me feeling second class!

Paid license user also requesting virtual background support for linux, feature does not work on latest build it just blacks the entire screen out, works fine on mobile device. (iphone)

This is clearly a bug. You show that function in the settings and when I try to use it I got black video output. At least you should put a warning that says this is experimental, might not work or only works with listed hardware/OS/driver versions.

Same here. Freshly installed ubuntu 20.04.3 (on USB-Stick) on Dell Latitude 5500 with integrated webcam, only added zoom in latest version (5.9.x). Works fine until i select a background without greenscreen. Then, after turning cam off and on again, to activate the selection, the camera output gets black.

1 Like

I agree. I’m the same as wschm - 20.04.3 (on hard disk) brand new core i5 processor. Camera goes black. Please fix this as I live my life on Zoom and Linux.

1 Like