Junior developer looking for a mentor for a Zoom-based project

I am a computer science college/boot camp student working on a capstone project/potentially commercial app. Is there anyone here who would be open to doing a little mentoring on making a Zoom app go? (Star Trek TNG reference intended)

I want to set up a javascript-based front-end/php or node + sql-based back-end platform where the gui has two panels - the left has space and controls for Zoom and the right is a space for simple social games like trivia games. Users can connect to their OWN zoom accounts in order to play games with their friends.

I am okay with REST API’s usually - but I’ve found the docs here to be hard to follow and am not sure if I can even do this. Can you only set up scheduled appointments with your own connection codes?

Would love to have someone who wouldn’t mind maybe getting on Zoom with me and giving me some tutelage. I’d even be happy to pay for some time if it’ll get me closer to the goal.

Hey @imaginologist,

Happy to help get you on the right track! It sounds like you want to use on of our SDKs.

Checkout the differences between the Client SDK (mirrors the Zoom App) and the Fully Customizable SDK (allows you to build custom frontend interfaces with video / audio).

Let me know if you have any specific questions along the way! :slight_smile:

Thanks,
Tommy

Tommy, thank you so much for getting back with me!

Before I dig in fully do you mind if I ask: is it possible to set up an interface where users can use their own Zoom accounts? Or would the interface have to use one account for everyone who uses it.

Also, do you know of any great tutorials that could help a Zoom beginner? I’m a third year CS science but a total “noob” (as my kids would say) in this.

Also, FYI, the link for the fully customizable SDK on the page you sent me is broken.

The broken link (404) is: https://marketplace.zoom.us/sdk/custom/introduction

Thanks again!

Hey @imaginologist,

Whoops! Can you try this link? https://marketplace.zoom.us/docs/sdk#comparing-zoom-sdks

Yes! You can use the OAuth flow, which allows users to connect their Zoom accounts to your application so you can make authorized API requests on their behalf! :slight_smile:

Here is a tutorial I wrote up:

https://marketplace.zoom.us/docs/guides/auth/oauth

Now, the Web SDK (embedding the Zoom meeting experience into your website) is different from OAuth. You can see the Web SDK sample app here:

Let me know if that helps!

Thanks,
Tommy

Hi Tommy,

Thanks for getting back to me! My developing partner says it looks like we developing JWT and then once our app gets approved by Zoom then we can get an oAuth key. Is that right?

And if so, how long does it usually take between submission of an app to Zoom and it’s approval? And do you have any information on what it takes to be approved?

Thanks again!

• Larry

Hey @imaginologist, let me clear up some confusion for you! :slight_smile:

JWT Apps are meant to make API requests for your Zoom account only, and do not need to be approved by Zoom. JWT Apps also cannot be published to the Zoom App Marketplace.

OAuth Apps are meant to make API requests for your Zoom account, and or any Zoom account that installs / authorizes that app. OAuth Apps do need to be published on the Zoom App Marketplace if you intend on having external Zoom users use them. For the fastest submission time, make sure to follow the submission checklist! :slight_smile:

Does that clear things up?

Thanks,
Tommy

That is very helpful Tommy, thank you. Can you give an estimate of how long it typically takes for the review process? A broad estimate is fine - as in is it usually a couple of days, a couple of weeks or a couple of months?

Hey @imaginologist,

Usually a few days / within a week, if the app works and the checklist is followed! :slight_smile:

Thanks,
Tommy

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.